Policy Development Process
All new policy drafts or revisions to existing policies must comply with the University’s Policy Development Authority policy (University Policy 1000).
- Contact PolicyInfo@boisestate.edu for an official copy of the policy you are revising. For a new policy, notify PolicyInfo@boisestate.edu of your intent to draft. PolicyInfo@boisestate.edu will notify you if the policy you are revising is under review by another area on campus. If that is the case, you will be asked to collaborate with that area to bring forward a single revision/draft.
- Review and complete a Policy Cover Sheet (MS Word) or Policy Cover Sheet (Google Doc). This document will help you assess the need for a proposed new policy or policy revision and will provide important information to committees and individuals responsible for reviewing your policy.
- Once you have completed the Policy Cover Sheet, make any proposed revisions using MS Word’s “track changes” function or “Suggesting” in Google Docs. For a new policy, draft the proposed policy using the University’s Policy Template (see above). Existing policies should be revised to reflect the current format before submission. If you have questions about policy format, content or style, consult the policy writing guidance page or contact PolicyInfo@boisestate.edu for assistance.
- Submit the policy cover sheet and final draft policy to the Policy Office. The Policy Office will review the draft and determine whether adequate review has been completed, if the policy is in the proper format, and in the case of a revised policy, whether the revision is so minor that it does not need approval from the Policy Group. The Policy Office may suggest additional edits and revisions to the final draft policy before moving it forward for approval. All other proposals/amendments will be forwarded to the Policy Group and the President for final review and approval.
- Upon final approval, new and revised policies will be posted on the Policy website.
For questions or additional information, contact the Policy Office at PolicyInfo@boisestate.edu.