Skip to main content

International Travel


When travel involves crossing an international border, concerns center on the traveler’s safety and security, securing data and devices, safeguarding the integrity of Boise State systems and networks, and complying with various laws and regulations. The University does not by policy prohibit its faculty or staff from traveling to any country in the world. However, the U. S. Department of Treasury Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC), for example, places travel restrictions on certain locations, entities, or activities. Travel involving embargoedsanctioned, or prohibited countries generally pose significant risk and must be reviewed by the export control office prior to such travel being booked.

Traveler’s Responsibilities

It is the traveler’s responsibility to ensure that their exports (e.g., electronic devices, presentations, downloads) do not have any technical data or technology that requires an export license. Even a temporary export of ITAR-controlled articles, technical data, or software require an express written authorization from the export control office in advance for each export. Also, do not attempt to access any potentially ITAR-controlled information from outside of the United States (e.g., opening an e-mail attachment, accessing files remotely). If an export license is required for a temporary export, expect the request of an export license to take months to process; therefore, please plan ahead.

Best Practices

  • travel only with electronic devices that do not contain controlled data such as export controlled information or proprietary information
  • store any scientific, technical, or engineering information on an encrypted flash-drive and not on the hard drive of your electronic device
  • keep the encrypted flash-drive in a pocket on your person when using transportation services of any kind or in public places
  • adhere to the minimum security standards for Boise State Foreign Travel
  • tips for High Risk International Travel from The University of Denver
  • tips for Travel to China or Russia from The University of Rhode Island
  • choose international travel involving the following countries which generally pose less export control risk:
    Austria, Australia, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom
    (License Exception ENC Favorable Treatment Countries)

Completing the Travel Authorization and International Handcarry Form

Travel Business Purpose and your International Handcarry Form (if you are taking university-owned or university-controlled items) must include a detailed description of the foreign interactions involved and the items to be exported (both temporary and permanent). Example details of interest:

  • Who are you interacting with? (please include both names of people and entities they represent, note if multiple countries are involved/represented)
  • What will you be doing? What information will you be sharing? What items will you be taking? Will the inventory of items be different on return (and how)?
  • Will you be traveling with an encrypted item other than a commercial-off-the-shelf smartphone or laptop (and what)?
  • Is the event open to the public? Is any information being taken or shared that is not intended to be published in the public domain?
  • What is the funding source(s) for the travel and the activities? Is any information being taken that is unrelated to the funding source(s)?
  • Is the travel related to a military, space, or intelligence application or funding source? (if so, contact the export control office to discuss)