Skip to main content

Receiving Items

Identification and Marking

The best source of an export control classification for an item is the manufacturer (vendor, supplier, producer, originator). Whether part of a collaboration, a gift, a purchase, or the like, members of the Boise State community involved in the matter shall request the export control classification in writing from the sender. The export control classification documentation received from the manufacturer shall be stored in the appropriate related file for recordkeeping and the item itself shall be marked. In general, it is best for the manufacturer to identify the export control classification both in the contract/agreement and with markings on the item prior to sending the item. If the commodity, software, or information received is unmarked, contact the sender to request the export control classification in writing (or return the item).

P-Card Usage

In general, international transactions are more complex than comparable domestic transactions. Various responsibilities and liabilities (e.g., customs clearance, potential damage during shipment, information protection) exist such that negotiated terms and conditions in a contract are typically superior to using a P-Card for international transactions. If a proposed transaction relates to importing or exporting with respect to a scientific, technical, or engineering application/purpose (e.g., research equipment/materials, scientific/engineering software, data storage, equipment repair services), a P-Card shall not be utilized for the proposed transaction unless the proposed transaction is authorized in advance by the export control office.