When should I request an “Advance” for my sponsored project?

What is an “Advance”?

An “Advance” is used to set up one or more projects (AKA accounts) in Oracle Financials Cloud (OFC) before: (i) the University receives a new sponsored project award from a Sponsor; and (ii) before the University receives a subsequent increment of funding from a Sponsor on an existing sponsored project award.  The first scenario is referred to as an “Advance Department ID,” and the second scenario is called an “Advance Spending Request.”

Advance Department IDs / Advance Spending Requests should be requested whenever sponsored project work must begin before awards/amendments are received by the University.  This includes, but is not limited to, situations where the University has been notified in writing that awards are forthcoming with specific start dates, but that the actual awards will be issued to the University at later dates.  It also includes situations where Sponsors are late issuing subsequent years of funding for multiple-year awards.

The bottom-line is that if you are going to start work on sponsored projects, you should not spend funds on local or appropriated accounts. Instead, you should submit Advances to spend funds on appropriate projects in OFC.  See, e.g., Section 4.1.a of University Policy # 5090, Sponsored Programs Cost Transfer.

Why is it so important that I use Advances instead of local/appropriated accounts?

Using Advances is important for two primary reasons.  First, cost transfers from local and appropriated accounts to sponsored projects after-the-fact immediately raise questions for external auditors.  Second, cost transfers create significant administrative burdens for multiple campus departments/offices, which increases inefficiencies and costs for the University.  In fact, reducing the number of cost transfers is one way we can support the large Human Capital Management (HCM) software implementation.

Do Advances increase my risk of unallowable costs?

No.  If you are planning to start work anyway, spending funds on Advance projects/accounts does not have any more risk of unallowable costs than spending on local or appropriated accounts.

Where/how do I submit Advances?

Advances are submitted using this online form, which is also available in the “Quick Links” on the Business Managers, Award Acceptance, and Award Management web pages.

Who do I contact if I have questions about Advances?

Please send an email to sponsoredagreements@boisestate.edu.  You may also call 6-4420.