Skip to main content

Student Loan Cancellation

Federal Student Loan Cancellation

Students receiving federal student loans (Direct Stafford Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans and Parent PLUS loans) have a right to cancel all or a portion of their student aid through Boise State for one hundred twenty (120) days after disbursement. Please follow the instructions below to request that your loans be canceled. Note: All private loans received through a bank or financial institution must be returned directly to the lender.

  • View your loan disbursement information on by visiting your Student Center and clicking the Financial Aid tile.
  • Select the appropriate aid year and semester.
Scheduled Financial Aid Disbursements
  • Check your BroncoMail for an email with the subject “Your Right to Cancel Federal Student Loans.” This email can be printed and signed to return to our office. Please fill in the semester, loan type, and amount you are returning. Note: Parent Plus Loan returns must be signed by the parent or guardian who originally applied for the loan.
  • If you cannot find the email, simply write and sign a letter stating the amount and type of loan funding you are returning, and for which semester. Sign and date the letter and include your Student ID number.
  • You may submit payment either by including a personal check or money order for the amount you wish to return, or by returning a Boise State refund check if one was sent to you.
  • Submit the signed form, along with your payment, to Student Financial Services in person to Admin Building Room 101 or by mail to:

Student Financial Services
Boise State University
1910 University Dr.
Admin Building Room 101
Boise, ID 83725-1246

  • Watch for email confirmation that your loan return was received and processed.