Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

The purpose of the Four-Year Degree Completion Program is to facilitate, through an agreement between the participating student and Boise State University, a student’s goal of graduating from Boise State in four years.

Boise State University ensures that students who agree to and follow the program’s provisions will graduate with their Bachelor degree in four years. If the University does not meet its part of the contract, the cost of additional courses will be paid by Boise State University.


Where should questions not addressed in this document be referred?

For more information, students should contact their academic advisor or they may contact the Advising and Academic Support Center at (208) 426-4049.
Email questions to

When must a student sign up for Finish in Four?

Students sign up for the program as a new first-time student. The official deadline is the last day of classroom instruction of the student’s second semester. It is recommended that students sign up for Finish in Four by the end of the first semester of enrollment.

Where can students sign up for the Finish in Four?

Students should begin the process during New Student Orientation or by meeting with an advisor during the first semester of enrollment to determine eligibility and sign the appropriate paperwork.

Who will advise Finish in Four students?

Finish in Four students will be advised by an academic advisor in the academic department of major. Undeclared or undecided students meet with an academic advisor in the Advising and Academic Support Center to determine eligibility. A Finish in Four Coordinator, housed in The Advising and Academic Support Center, oversees the program.

How many credits should Finish in Four students enroll in for each semester?

To graduate within the contracted time, Finish in Four students should enroll in a minimum of 15 credits per academic semester or 30 credits per calendar year (depending on the course plan created with the academic advisor). Courses can be taken during summer sessions as well.  PLEASE NOTE:  Enrollment in 17 or more credits per semester will result in overload fees.

Are transfer students eligible for this program?

At this point, transfer students are not eligible for Finish in Four.  However, college credits earned prior to graduating from high school are allowed and in fact, encouraged!

Can a student sign up for any major on this contract?

View a list of majors included in the Finish in Four program. Some majors have admission processes in addition to admission to the university. It is critical that students interested in majors with admission processes and limited numbers of students accepted into the programs, meet with an academic advisor early on to develop a plan.

Can a student complete a minor (along with the major) on this contract?

Yes. If the credits required for the minor fit within the elective credits of the major, a student can complete both the major and minor in the plan.

Can a student complete a double major on this contract?

Maybe. Due to curriculum structure and program requirements, students wishing to earn a double major or dual degree will need to get special permission from the Finish in Four Coordinator.

What if a Finish in Four student needs to take developmental courses or prerequisite courses prior to beginning their four-year plan?

Developmental courses such as Math 25 do not count toward graduation credit; therefore, they do not count toward the credit requirements for the Finish in Four Program. In addition, some majors, for example, majors in Engineering, require that students be ready to take Calculus. If you need to take prerequisite or developmental courses, you may need to take summer courses to meet your credit requirement for graduation and/or you may not be eligible for the Finish in Four program.

What happens if a Finish in Four student elects to participate in an exchange program and/or internship?

Students are encouraged to participate in exchange programs and internships. Exchange and internship credits approved by Boise State may count toward academic progress under the plan but must be completed within the four-year agreement period. Students need to contact their advisor to discuss feasibility as early as possible. (Remember, there is no penalty for finishing in more than four years.)

What about summer classes?

Finish in Four students are allowed to enroll in summer sessions, which may allow for some adjustment in the fall and/or spring credit load.

What if a Finish in Four student takes summer courses at another institution?

Summer transfer credits may count toward academic progress provided the student takes courses accepted by Boise State University in general education, elective credit requirements, or the student’s major. Students must complete 30 of their last 36 credits at Boise State. Students are responsible for discussing their plans with their advisor as early as possible to determine how anticipated transfer credits will fit into their degree plan. Transfer coursework must be reported to Boise State in a timely fashion.

What if a Finish in Four student needs to modify their four-year plan?

As long as the student can still complete their degree in their original four years, modifications are allowed.  Students are allowed only one revision to their academic plan.  If additional revisions are needed, students may be removed from the program.

Can Finish in Four students change their major?

Students can change their major and still participate in the Finish in Four program as long as the student can still complete their major in their original four years (the clock doesn’t reset when you change your major). Finish in Four students who wish to change their major must also get approval from their new major to continue in the Finish in Four program and an updated degree plan must be submitted and approved by the Finish in Four Coordinator.

What is the procedure if a Finish in Four student asks to have the clock stopped?

The Finish in Four clock may be stopped during a student’s enrollment at Boise State in the event of a serious health problem, family emergency, or approved leave of absence (e.g., church mission, pregnancy). All stop-out situations must be documented and approved by the program coordinator in order to stop the four-year clock.

What happens if a student does not fulfill the Finish in Four contract?

A student who does not fulfill the requirements of the Finish in Four Program experiences no penalty. Any student participating in the program for any length of time will benefit and should maintain contact with an academic advisor.

Can a student graduate in less than four years?

Yes! Students may complete their degree requirements as quickly as they wish. Students who enter the University with AP, CLEP, and/or concurrent enrollment credits or take summer courses may still participate in the program and can complete their degree in less than four years.

Can a student voluntarily withdraw from the program?

Yes. Students need to contact the Finish in Four Coordinator, in writing, to withdraw from the program. Students should continue to have contact with academic advisors. There are no penalties.

What does a Finish in Four student do if they cannot enroll in a required course that will result in a delayed graduation?

If you meet all the conditions of the Finish in Four: Four-year Graduation Plan but are unable to graduate with your undergraduate degree due to the unavailability of a course, your department and college will work with you to develop reasonable and appropriate alternatives. If there are no academically acceptable alternatives, The Vice Provost for Undergraduate Studies will review the alternatives and determine if Boise State University will pay the tuition for you to take the course(s) required for you to complete your degree program within the next year.