Skip to main content

Nondegree Student

Boise State Students

Nondegree students are able to take courses outside of a degree or certificate program. View the Undergraduate Catalog for information about courses.

You may choose to enroll at Boise State as nondegree student for a variety of reasons:

  • Audit a course
  • Take a course that is not available at your current institution
  • Build professional skills for career advancement
  • Other reasons specific to your individual situation. Please contact Boise State Admissions to determine whether this is the right option for you.

Watch Becoming a Bronco


Fall Semester

Nondegree Application Closes: August 14

Spring Semester

Nondegree Application Deadline: January 2


To be eligible for nondegree admission, applicants must:

  • Have a high school diploma or GED prior to attending Boise State.
  • Not have been dismissed from a college or university within the last semester.

However, please keep in mind that nondegree students are not able to register for class until open enrollment, which is typically a week before classes start. This is after all degree-seeking students have enrolled in courses, so availability may be limited. As a nondegree student, you are able to take a course, provided you are able to get instructor or department approval and there’s space in the course. Nondegree students are able to enroll in any number of classes combined to total the maximum of seven credits, or take a maximum of two classes, even if they exceed seven credits.

Please note that nondegree students are not eligible for federal financial aid.

Credits earned in nondegree status can be applied towards a degree later, provided that you change your status to degree-seeking once you’re eligible.

Apply Now     FAQ

Have You Already Applied?

If you have already submitted an application, check your status to make sure we receive all of your application materials and to view personalized Next Steps checklists.

Check Your Application Status

Are you currently nondegree and want to switch to degree seeking?

Schedule an appointment with your Admissions Counselor to begin switching your status to degree seeking.

Find Your Rep