Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Review the following Frequently Asked Questions to learn more about the admissions process.

Frequently Asked Questions


Who is my advisor?

New students will first meet with academic advisors at their mandatory Orientation Program hosted by the New Student Transition & Family Connections Office. After Orientation, you will be connected with a department specific advisor or with a general academic advisor.

How do I change my schedule?

Class schedule changes can be made through your My Boise State account.

Will Boise State Be Holding Any In-Person Classes This Upcoming Semester?

Yes! The university will offer a blend of in-person, online, remote and hybrid courses. For more information, visit our Covid Response page.


Can I Pay The Application Fee With A Credit Card?

Application fees are payable through our online application by Visa, MasterCard or Discover. Payment online is processed through a secure web server and is the recommended method of application fee payment.

Can I Pay The Application Fee With A Check Or Money Order?

Applicants wishing to pay by check or money order should mail payment and a cover sheet that includes the student’s full name, date of birth, phone number and email address to:

Boise State University Admissions
1910 University Drive
Boise, ID 83725-1320

Once the check or money order is received, Admissions will credit your online application with payment. You will receive an email that your payment has been processed and then you may submit your application online. If you are paying your application through check or money order, please allow us two business days to process your payment. We will need to process your payment and you will need to submit your application online prior to any applicable application or scholarship deadlines.

Can I Pay The Application Fee With Cash?

Admissions strongly encourages students to pay by credit card, check or money order. Cash payment by mail is not advised due to the inability to track payment. If you must pay by cash, please bring your application fee payment to our office in the Student Union Building (SUB). Boise State Admissions is located on the first floor of the SUB. You may access a campus map for more detailed directions.

How Do I Apply For An Application Fee Waiver?

Students applying for undergraduate admission may qualify for a waiver of the application fee by providing documentation of economic need. If you submit a completed application fee waiver form, please allow us two business days to process your waiver. We will need to approve your waiver and you will need to submit your application online prior to any applicable application or scholarship deadlines.

Application Fee Waiver

Please note: International students are not eligible for application fee waivers based on financial need.

What If I Receive A Payment Error?

If you submitted an application in error and paid the wrong fee (for example, you need to be a graduate student, but applied as an undergraduate student and paid the undergraduate application fee), please contact Admissions at (208) 426-1156 or to discuss your options.


When Will I Be Notified About An Admission Decision?

Once all your admission materials have been received it takes approximately three weeks to process your application and make your admission decision. You’ll be notified of your admission decision by mail and email. A printable letter of admission will be posted on your My Boise State page. Get in the habit of checking your BroncoMail and myBoiseState frequently, as important information is posted regularly.

Can I Move My Application?

If you need to move an application that you have already submitted forward or backward one semester, you must complete our Deferment Request Form.
Move Your Application

How Is A Student's Residency Determined?

Your state of legal residence is determined at the time of your initial application for admission to Boise State. Be sure to answer all questions on the admission application as fully as possible. The full process for establishing Idaho residency is listed on the Registrar’s webpage. Further questions can be directed to Josh Wilkins at


COVID-19 updates and information

For all updates and information on how the university is preventing and/or minimizing the spread of communicable diseases, please visit our Public Health Response response page.

Does Boise State publish annual safety statistics?

Yes, the Department of Public Safety publishes the Boise State University Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This report is provided to students, faculty, staff, and the public as part of the University’s commitment to safety and security on campus, and in compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act. Copies of the report may also be requested in person through the Department of Public Safety at 2245 University Drive, Boise, Idaho 83706, by calling (208) 426-6911, or by sending an email to

The 2023 Annual Security and Fire Safety Report for Boise State University is now available online at Boise State Annual Fire and Safety Report

Where can I learn about safety resources?

The safety of our students, faculty, staff and campus guests is our highest priority. The Boise State University Department of Public Safety provides security services including BroncoAlert, free 24-hour campus security escorts, over 70 emergency phones located across campus, and an expansive set of campus safety resources.


How can I get more scholarships?

Students can check out the Financial Aid scholarship website for information about automatic scholarships, federal student aid, additional scholarships, and other funding opportunities.

I’m confused by my Financial Aid package. Who can help?

Call the Financial Aid office at (208) 426-1664 or email

My family’s income is now a lot less than when I submitted the FAFSA. Can I update my information?

Yes, there are additional options to update your financial information. The Change in Finances page offers several ways to request a review depending on your specific financial circumstances. For help deciding which form is appropriate for your situation, call Financial Aid at (208) 426-1664.


What can I bring to my Residence Hall?

We recommend bringing bedding, personal hygiene essentials, any appliances with closed coil elements, extra lighting, mini refrigerators, microwaves, decorations and audio visual equipment. Housing and Residence Life offers a comprehensive list of what to bring and what to leave home.

Got a specific item you’re unsure about? Contact Housing and Residence Life:
Phone: (208) 447-1001

When do I pay for housing?

The first housing payment is due prior to move in, however late charges are not assessed until after September 1 for Fall semester and February 1 for Spring semester.

Monthly payments are due on the 25th of every month (July through April). Check Bronco Accounts regularly to view posted charges.

More information is available on the Housing Payments and Billing page.

What will living on campus look like this upcoming semester?

We’ve got this covered! Visit Housing and Residence Life for more specifics on living on campus.
Housing Help Center

How do I get my ID card?

Submit your photo now so we can have your card ready and waiting. Bronco Cards help you enter buildings, purchase food, check out books and so much more.
How to Get a Bronco Card


Why Do I Need to Submit My Intent to Enroll?

Once you have been admitted and have decided to enroll at Boise State, you are required to reserve your spot in the incoming class by submitting the Intent to Enroll along with a $100 enrollment confirmation. Waivers are available for students demonstrating financial need.

In addition to reserving your spot in the incoming class, this also:

  • allows you to sign-up for an orientation program
  • secures any scholarships you’ve been offered
  • ensures processing of your final enrollment materials
  • helps us plan for the incoming class (so even if you’re enrolling elsewhere, please fill out the form to let us know!)

Learn More About the Intent to Enroll


How Do I Apply As A Non-Degree Seeking Student?

Boise State University provides a convenient process for students wanting to take courses of interest. All you need to do is submit the Boise State Application along with the nonrefundable application fee. Select either the undergraduate application or the graduate application depending on which course(s) you plan to take.

Boise State has a secure server which will ensure your privacy to apply online. You are able to submit credit card payment online for your application fee as well.
Apply Now

How Many Credits Can I Register For Each Semester?

As a nondegree-seeking student during the fall or spring semester, you can register for any combination of courses totaling seven or fewer credits; or a maximum of two courses, even if these courses total more than seven credits. Non-degree seeking students pay the part-time per credit rate.

Can I Qualify For Financial Aid?

Non-degree-seeking students are not eligible to receive federal financial aid no matter when classes are taken. In addition, transfer students will not receive an evaluation of their transfer credit until they apply and are admitted as degree-seeking students. Any credits earned as a non-degree-seeking student can be applied toward a degree at a later date.

When can I register for classes?

As a nondegree-seeking student, you can register for classes during open enrollment. Check out the academic calendar for more information on the open enrollment date.

What Services Are Available To Part-Time Students?


What will the first week be like?

Bronco Welcome kicks off the first week of the semester with a full schedule of fun activities. Float the river, grab a burger at a cookout or practice your bowling skills for free in the SUB Game Center. Keep checking the Bronco Welcome schedule for new events to attend!

Do I need to bring a car to campus?

The majority of our on-campus student resources can be easily reached without a vehicle. We also encourage the use of the campus shuttle service and the City of Boise bus service, both of which are free to all full-time students. Many of our on-campus students do not need a personal vehicle.

How do I buy my parking pass?

Parking passes are purchased online at Transportation and Parking.

Should I bring a bicycle?

Our campus is extremely bike friendly, and bicycles are encouraged as a way of getting around campus! Boise State’s campus has over 1,000 places to park your bike. Plus! If you need a tune up or repair, The Cycle Learning Center is conveniently located on campus and here to help cyclists and commuters.