Economic Development and Professional Education
The Director of Economic Development at Boise State University is housed within the Division of Research and Economic Development. The Office of Economic Development seeks to provide strategic industry and community outreach and support within Idaho, the campus community, and in support of the Business Partnerships Hub.
The Office of Economic Development:
- Engages in dialogue and relationships for the mutual benefit of the university and the Idaho economy, including meeting workforce needs, increasing resources and advocacy and building awareness and partnerships.
- Supports state, local and regional organizations in strengthening existing business within the state and recruiting new businesses to the state.
- Pursues and promotes local state and federal support for strategic economic development and related initiatives.
- Supports and expands internships and co-op opportunities for students.
- Grows relationships with municipalities in conjunction with The Business Partnership Hub, develops and coordinates plans to increase collaborations through research, academic programming, service learning and other campus efforts.
- Fosters and supports collaborations across university units as needed in support of HUB and other initiatives.
The Division of Research and Economic Development mission and vision are outlined here. A list of Boise State University research centers and laboratories can be found at Boise State Research Centers.
The Venture College cultivates and supports entrepreneurship at Boise State to economically empower the campus community. Our programs build skills and instill an entrepreneurial mindset to pursue new ideas and launch ventures. We provide training, venture incubation support, and unique startup experiences to help community members find their entrepreneurial passion.
- Venture College Incubator: Offered in both the Fall and Spring semesters, participants test their business ideas with customers, develop an MVP, and learn new start-up concepts to build traction.
- Idaho Entrepreneur Challenge: Higher education students from across Idaho compete for money and services to advance their startups. Held annually in the Spring.
- Mission43 Entrepreneur Course: A program dedicated to Mission43 veterans and military spouses to help those with actionable concepts, experience, and drive run their own businesses.
- Reverse Pitch Competitions: Higher education students across Idaho compete for cash prizes as they solve challenges faced within an industry while forming a venture. Our current competitions are Hacking for Homebuilding and Cybersecurity Entrepreneur Challenge. Both offered in the Fall.
Professional and Continuing Education
Professional and Continuing Education (including K-12 Teacher Professional Development) at Boise State University offers programs designed for professionals who want to reach their fullest potential as leaders, innovators, and change makers. Our cutting-edge programs equip organizations and busy professionals with new knowledge and skills to address dynamic work challenges and opportunities. Our course instructors make learning fun and break down complex information so that it is immediately applicable to your business need.
Whether you are an individual in need of open-access professional development programs, or an organization interested in working with Boise State’s expert faculty to develop custom developed courses and/or programs, we are here for you. Our friendly team is ready to answer your questions and guide you in identifying courses, programs, or custom offerings that meet your needs.