Skip to main content

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

student working in electrical engineering lab

CPT is the work authorization you need for an Academic Internship

CPT allows you to work off-campus in a position related to your field of study.  You can only do CPT during your academic degree and you must register for the appropriate academic credit for the experience. You cannot delay your degree completion for a non-required internship. If you are a graduate student completing a thesis or dissertation and you are in your final semester then Optional Practical Training is often a more appropriate work authorization.

Important Information