In 2009, Boise State University embarked on a new program to benefit the local craftsperson. We believe this program will provide crafters with an opportunity to use their creativity without infringing the University’s Trademarks, while still allowing the University to maintain the integrity of its brand. We also hope that this program will be used by local entrepreneurs to test the market, before entering into a broader retail license with the University through the Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC).
Boise State students receive a discounted fee in the initial year. Please ensure that you include on the application form that you are a current student.
Outlined below are some of the elements that are incorporated into the Crafter License Program:
- Items must be hand-made; no commercially manufactured items are allowed.
- If anticipated sales exceed 500 units or sales revenue exceeds $2,500 in one year, for more information on the licenses available through the University’s licensing agent, CLC.
- A Crafter’s License allows for sales to individual consumers only, not via wholesale or a third-party retailer.
- *Sales may not be conducted through retail stores.
- A Crafter’s Licenses are only available to in-state individuals.
- A $100 licensing fee will be charged by the University on an annual basis for gross sales up to $1,000 per year with the following additional fees payable at the end of the year if annual gross sales exceed $1,000;
- $50 for gross sales between $1,000 and $1,500
- $100 for gross sales between $1,500 and $2,000; and
- $150 for gross sales between $2,000 and $2,500
- The Crafter is required to bear all risk in respect of the articles and hold the University harmless. The Crafter may wish to purchase product liability insurance.
- Licenses are valid for a twelve-month period and may be renewed at the sole discretion of the University.
Upon execution of a license and receipt of the licensing fee, an Officially Licensed Collegiate Craft certificate will be provided by University for display by the Crafter. Holograms are not currently available to craft products due to costs.
If interested, please complete the Crafter’s License Request Form. The application form should be completed and submitted together with an image, photograph, or sample of the proposed product to Office of Trademark Licensing at the address below or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once the samples are reviewed and approved, a Crafter’s License Agreement will be sent to the Crafter for review and signature. This License Agreement should be returned with a check or money order made payable to “Boise State University” and sent to: Director of Trademark Licensing and Enforcement, Mail Stop 1060, 1910 University Drive, Boise, ID 83725-1060.
*Please note that in accordance with University policy, no solicitation of sales may be made on campus at tailgate events. In some instances, sales through Bronco Shop may be permitted, although Bronco Shop is not obligated to sell products licensed through this program.
Thank you for your support of Boise State University.