- Windows 7-10
- Windows Vista (clean install, not upgraded from Windows XP)
- Mac OS X 10.11 or later.
How to Download VPN Software
- All active University faculty, staff, and student employees have access to Boise State’s VPN service.
- Download the VPN software.
If you’re on campus, download the VPN software using this link.
If you’re off campus, download the VPN software using this link.
- Log in to the Boise State VPN service using your Boise State account. (If you are unable to log in, please contact the Help Desk for assistance.)
- Click the AnyConnect link.
- Click the Start AnyConnect link.
- The Boise State VPN software (Cisco AnyConnect) will install and connect your computer securely to the Boise State network.
- If you are using macOS Big Sur, you may be prompted to open System Preferences > Security & Privacy and select Allow to load the “Cisco AnyConnect Socket Filter”:
- If the automatic installation fails, click the “Windows Desktop” or “Mac OS X 10.6+” link to download and install the VPN software manually.
How to Use the VPN Software
Once you have the VPN software (Cisco AnyConnect) installed, here’s how to work securely and connect to the Boise State network:
- Connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi or cable like you always do.
- Launch the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility software.
Windows: Start > All Programs > Cisco > Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client > Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client
Mac: Finder > Applications > Cisco > Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client
- Enter either the on-campus VPN address or the off-campus VPN address, depending on your location:
On-campus VPN address: bsuvpn-oncampus.boisestate.edu
Off-campus VPN address: bsuvpn-offcampus.boisestate.edu
- Sign in with your Boise State username and password.
- As of May 19, Boise State requires Duo multi-factor authentication when connecting to VPN. For information about enrolling and using Duo, visit the Multi-factor Authentication page.
Optional: Connect to Your Work Computer
You may use VPN in conjunction with Microsoft Remote Desktop to connect remotely to a Windows desktop or laptop computer.