Residents and guests in Housing and Residence Life locations must use the RES (SafeConnect) network for wireless and wired access within those buildings.
Some Devices May Need to Be Wired
SafeConnect does not support wireless connectivity for all devices. The following devices must use ethernet (wired) connectivity to work with SafeConnect:
- Apple TV
- Amazon Echo
- Amazon Fire
- Nintendo Switch
- Google Home
Netflix and Video Streaming Connections
If your game device, Blu-ray, Apple TV, Smart TV, console or other devices are not connecting to the internet for Netflix streaming, contact the Help Desk at email@example.com or (208) 426-4357.
Some network games require port forwarding to connect online; port forwarding is not allowed on the university’s network infrastructure.
To solve this you must disable IPV6:
- Right click the appropriate icon in the lower right-hand corner, and then select “Open Network and Sharing Center”
- Click “Change adapter settings” on the left side of the window
- Determine which source you are trying to connect with, “Local Area Connection” (wired) or “Wireless Network Connection”
- Right click the desired connection and select “Properties”
- Un-tick “Internet Protocol Version 6,” “Link-Layer Topology Discover Mapper I/O Driver,” and “Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder.”
- Click OK and restart the computer.
Additional Networking Information
- Wireless routers and switches are not allowed to be plugged into any of our networks; the only exception being places where university housing has attached mini-switches in Towers Hall.
- You are required to run the SafeConnect client to get on the network (see SafeConnect above).
- If the Office of Information Technology (OIT) discovers your computer is infected with a virus, you may be disconnected until an OIT technician can clean the virus off your computer.
- BitTorrent is blocked on Boise State campus networks.
- Both wired and wireless residence hall networks are not designed or configured for hosting multiplayer games on student game consoles or computers.
- University Suites rooms have four ports in each room, and only one port is active; two ports will be on one wall and two ports on another. Contact the front desk and ask for the active port number. The port in the living room is not active.
- University Square rooms have four ports in each room and only one port is active or two ports in a double room; two ports will be on one wall and two ports on another. Contact the front desk and ask for the active port number. The port in the living room is not active.
- Keiser Hall and Taylor Hall have two ports in each room, one is phone and one is Internet. If one port does not work, try the one next to it before setting up an appointment.
- University Manor and University Heights Apartments have two ports in each room, only one port is active. If one port does not work, try the one next to it before setting up an appointment.
- University Village Apartments have two ports in the living room and both are active.