Public Health Careers
Your public health degree prepares you to address community health-related challenges through engagement and education. Boise State’s public health program focuses on helping you build leadership skills and the public health knowledge you need to promote positive social change.
The good news about public health jobs? The public health field is growing. In fact, according to the peer-reviewed American Journal of Public Health, 26% of state public health workers were eligible for retirement in 2016, creating thousands of job openings for a new generation of public health professionals. Explore more health education careers.
Upon graduation, every student will have achieved the following competencies:
- Connect the history and philosophy of public health to today’s public health issues
- Understand and explain how public health systems work and how they deliver health services
- Be able to analyze the factors that impact human health and contribute to health disparities and make evidence-based decisions
- Know how to assess, plan, implement and evaluate public health programs that promote health and disease prevention through public health systems
- Be able to communicate and use teamwork to inform and engage colleagues, policymakers, and community members to address pertinent public health issues
- Apply critical thinking, communication, and analytical skills to implement public health programs in a variety of settings and follow ethical and legal best practices
What can I do with this degree?
The Public Health occupation statistics listed below come from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor.
- Medical and Health Services Manager
- Community Health Specialist
- Health Educator
- Public Health Analyst
- Health Services Director
- Behavioral Health Care Managers
- Practice Manager
- Policy Analyst
Projected New Jobs
- 17% job growth from 2020-2030.
- $48,860 annually or $23.49 hourly.
Didn't find what you're looking for?
Contact our Enrollment and Student Success Team for support by emailing us at OnlinePublicHealth@boisestate.edu, calling (208) 426-5921 or clicking the Chat button below.