Skip to main content

Changes in Final Grades (Policy 3180)

University Policy 3180

Download a Printable Version of Policy 3180

Effective Date

July 1979

Last Revision Date

May 2020

Responsible Party

Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, (208) 426-1212
Office of the Registrar, (208) 426-4249

Scope and Audience

This policy applies to all University students.

1. Policy Purpose

To describe the procedure and conditions under which final grades may be changed.

2. Policy Statement

Grades are considered final when the grade due date has passed for the semester. All grade changes after this date must be submitted by the instructor of record.

3. Changes in Final Grades

a. Students may initiate a change in final grade request with the individual instructor of record. If a change in final grade request is denied, the student may appeal the denial as outlined in Section 3.3 of this policy.

b. The instructor of record may change a letter grade by completing a Grade Change card. Required approval signatures on the card include the official instructor of record and the Department Chair for the department offering the course.

4. Changes in Incomplete Grades

a. At the discretion of the instructor, a grade of Incomplete “I” may be given when either 80% of the course or 80% of the coursework has been completed.

b. Students have one year to complete the coursework, or the grade is automatically changed to an “F.”

c. Students may not remove an incomplete by re-enrolling in the course. Students currently enrolled in a course in which they have received a previous “I” grade will be administratively dropped from the course.

d. A grade of “I” can be changed to a “W” only with the approval of the University Appeals Committee.

e. Grades of “I” awarded prior to Fall 2005 for undergraduate courses and prior to Fall 2007 for graduate courses will not automatically change to a grade of “F” after one year.

5. Appealing a Final Grade

If a student receives a final course grade that the student believes was inaccurately reported or unjust, the student has the right to appeal the grade as outlined in University Policy 3130 (Grade Appeal).

6. Related Information

University Policy 3130 (Grade Appeal)

Revision History

July 1995; November 2001; March 2014; May 2020