What is Service-Learning?
Service-Learning is a teaching strategy that integrates course content with relevant community service. Through assignments and class discussions, students critically reflect on the service in order to increase their understanding of course content, gain a broader appreciation of the discipline, and enhance their sense of civic responsibility.
– adapted from the National and Community Service Trust Act
- Definitions: Basic definitions of Service-Learning
- Examples & Snapshots: Service-Learning examples and ideas
- SL Vs. Internships: An explanation of the difference between Service-Learning and Internships
- Types of SL: A range of client contact and project-based service
- Course formats: Optional, required, or 1 credit “SL Lab”