PhD Program Application Requirements
Once applicants have been accepted to the Boise State Graduate College, they can become candidates for admission to the PhD program. The following are taken into consideration when making program admission decisions:
Applicant knowledge and/or experience related to public health or health care. Evidence of this kind of knowledge may include:
- Completion of substantial graduate coursework in health science or a closely related field (e.g., public health, biology, nursing, education, psychology, social work, sociology, etc.), or —
- A history of public health or health-related work or volunteer experience.
All of the following:
- A master’s degree in public health or related field from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university or a degree from a non-U.S. institution of higher education that is judged equivalent to a U.S. master’s degree by the International Admissions office. Applicants can request an exception to this requirement. Refer to request for an exception to the regionally accredited institution requirement for admission.
- A cumulative GPA of at least a 3.00 (on a 4-point scale) for all graduate work.
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended.
- A 500-word statement explaining educational and career background and future objectives.
- A current résumé or curriculum vitae.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- An interview with the PhD program director (required of applicants who have advanced to the late stages of the application process).
- For international applicants, a TOEFL score of at least 80 on the internet-based exam or 550 on the paper-based exam or an IELTS score of at least 6.5.
Please view the PhD Student Handbook (page 10) to learn more in-depth information about the application process.
Priority Deadline: January 15
Final Deadline: May 15
To be among the first group of applicants considered for a fall semester start, the PPHL PhD program must receive both the prospective students’ completed application materials and notice of their acceptance to the Boise State Graduate College by January 15.
If openings remain after all January15 applicants have been considered, applications received between January 15 and May 15 will be considered for program admission.
Please Note: The PPHL PhD program only accepts applicants for a fall semester start.
Questions? Reach out to SPPH_PhDInfo@boisestate.edu