- Assist you developing an academic plan for graduation.
- Help you interpret your Degree Tracker or Academic Advising Report and understand major requirements, core and university policies and procedures.
- Assist you in exploring a variety of majors and provide networking opportunities.
- Provide information about internship and other experiential learning opportunities.
- Help you sort out personal circumstances and determine how they affect your success.
- Work with you to enhance academic skills.
The following are the departmental advisors currently available for advising appointments.
Theatre Arts Advisors
- Margaret LeMay, Advising Coordinator, New Student Orientation, advisor for first year transfer students and freshman. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment.
- Marla Hansen, Associate Professor – Dance and Dance Minor. Email email@example.com to schedule an appointment
- Richard Klautsch, Professor, Department Chair – Secondary Education, Drama Teaching Endorsement – Email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment
Film & Television Arts Advisors
- Rulon Wood, Assistant Professor Film &TV. Email email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
- Ryan Cannon, Assistant Professor Film & TV. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment.
- Margaret LeMay, Advising Coordinator, first year and transfer students. Email: email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
Creative Writing Advisor
- Sam McPhee, Adjunct Instructor Creative Writing. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 208-426-7139 to schedule an appointment.
Please refer to the links below for additional information regarding advising at Boise State University.
Schedule an advising appointment
When you email an advisor for an appointment, offer at least three days and times when you are available.
“Hi, this is (your name/ID number) and I would like to schedule an advising meeting with you. I am available
Mondays at 3 pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays after 1 pm, and on Friday mornings before noon.
If none of those times will work, could you let me know when you are available?”
Also include in your email information that you think will help your advisor prepare for your
meeting, such as “I am a theatre arts major and I will be a junior next semester.”
Please also include your Student ID number. Include your telephone number as well so
that you can be reached if rescheduling is needed. By the same token, call or email your advisor if you need to reschedule.
Use your MyBoiseState account to review your class record. Arrive at your advising appointment with some idea as to what classes you will be enrolling in for your next semester. Degree Tracker in MyBoiseState is an excellent resource for you to use to track your classes and requirements. It allows students to plan several semesters in advance.