MilestonesUse search to filter table content.
|Start Date||End Date||Headline||Description|
|1932||St. Margaret's Hall||Bishop Middleton Barnwell urged that St. Margaret's Hall and a number of auxiliary buildings be converted to a junior college.
See Ch. 1: An Idea Grows
|1932||Opening Day||Enrollment: 70 Students
Faculty: 8 full time, 6 part time
Tuition: $60 per semester
See Ch. 1: An Idea Grows
|1932||Bishop Middleton S. Barnwell||Bishop Barnwell was the first president of Boise Junior College.
See Ch. 1: "An Idea Grows"
|1932||1933||Blue and Orange Broncos||Decided in the first year, the students wanted a name that suited the western area and as many wild horses roamed the Owyhees, Bronco was chosen. The students also chose blue and orange as the colors.|
|1934||Episcopal Diocese ends affiliation||After the Episcopal Church ends their affiliation, BJC elects a board of directors.|
|1934||First Commencement||BJC holds first commencement ceremony for 27 graduates.|
|1936||1966||Dr. Eugene Chaffee||Dr. Eugene Chaffee appointed the second president.
See Ch. 2: An Idea Grows
|1939||BJC becomes a public institution||Boise voters approve creation of Boise Junior College District; BJC becomes a public institution.|
|1940||Administration Building||The first building on campus, the Administration building originally included all classrooms, library, faculty offices as well as administrative offices. It was built by the Works Projects Administration (WPA) and opened in the Fall of 1940. In 1951 it was formally designated Oliver O. Haga Hall but is rarely called by that name.|
|1941||1945||Helping the War Effort||In true Rosie the Riveter spirit, female students learn electronic skills and build radios for the war effort.|
|1942||Logo||An early college logo, circa 1942.|
|1945||1946||Veterans||Between fall 1945 and spring 1946, over 400 GIs registered for classes.
See Ch. 5: Search for Excellence
|1950||Morrison and Driscoll Halls||Built separately for men and women students, Morrison and Driscoll Halls were the first on-campus living options for students.|
|1953||1977||Ruth McBirney||Ruth McBirney becomes librarian. During her tenure, the library moved from the Administration building to a new building and the collection increased from 15,000 to over 100,000 volumes.|
|1957||25th Anniversary||BJC invited community members to attend classes to learn what a typical students' day was like.|
|1965||1969||Boise College||School attains four-year status and becomes Boise College with implementation of baccalaureate degrees.
See Ch. 8: Searching for Excellence
|1967||1977||Dr. John B. Barnes||Dr. John Barnes named third President, and oversaw the transition to Boise State University.
See Ch. 9: Searching for Excellence
|1967||Alumni Association formed||With just 12 founding members, the fledgling organization was led by Boise Junior College graduates pending the first round of four-year alums.
Read more: https://www.boisestate.edu/alumni/about-us/
|1967||Enrollment reaches 5,000||See enrollment history|
|1967||First baccalaureate degrees awarded||The 1967 commencement program lists the first baccalaureate degree recipients.|
|1969||1974||Boise State College||Governor Don Samuelson signing a bill that changes Boise College to Boise State College and moves it into state system of higher education.
See Ch. 9: Searching for Excellence
|1972||Co-Ed Dorm||Morrison Hall becomes first co-ed dorm.|
|1972||First master's degrees awarded||The 1972 commencement program lists the first masters degree recipients.|
|1974||Boise State University||Governor Cecil D. Andrus signing a bill that changes Boise State College to Boise State University. Pictured: Doug Shanholtz, Governor Cecil Andrus, Dr. John Barnes, Kitty Gurnsey, Vernon Ravenscroft, Chuck Billyeau.
See Ch. 10: Searching for Excellence
|1975||Enrollment tops 10,000||See enrollment history|
|1978||1991||Dr. John H. Keiser||John H. Keiser named the fourth President.|
|9/13/1986||Bronco Stadium turns BLUE!||Boise State University bucked the national trend by installing blue astroturf in 1986.|
|1988||NPR Affiliate||Boise State Radio officially becomes a National Public Radio affiliate.|
|1989||Enrollment climbs to 12,586, the largest in the state||See enrollment history and facts and figures.|
|1990||First Martin Luther King Jr./Idaho Human Rights Celebration||Students rally in support of Idaho Human Rights and the creation of Martin Luther King Jr. Day in Idaho.
Additional reading: Idaho’s 'Aryan' Education: Martin Luther King, Jr., Day and Racial Politics
|1991||President John Keiser dismissed||President John Keiser dismissed by State Board of Education; Larry Selland named interim president.|
|1992||First Doctoral Program||Doctorate in education (Ed.D.) in curriculum and instruction, approved by State Board of Education.|
|1993||2003||Dr. Charles P. Ruch||Dr. Charles Ruch became the fifth President.
See: Fall 1992 FOCUS
|1997||First doctorate degrees awarded||First doctorate of education in curriculum and instruction degrees awarded. The first graduates were Alecia R. Baker, Christopher E. Francovich, Brenton A. Kidder, Eileen A. Thornburgh, Patricia N. Toney.
Source: commencement program
|1998||First Gene Harris Jazz Festival||The mission of the Gene Harris Jazz Festival is to educate, entertain and enrich listeners of all ages in Boise and surrounding communities to the exciting sound of all forms of jazz music; to encourage the appreciation of, and participation in music by children and adults alike; to support an endowment that will provide ongoing financial support for guest artists, music scholarships and the festival at BSU.
Read more: https://www.boisestate.edu/geneharris/
|2003||Dr. Robert W. Kustra||Dr. Kustra becomes sixth President.
See: Summer 2003 FOCUS
|2003||BSU West Campus||Technology and Entrepreneurial Center opens as first building on BSU West campus.|
|2004||First honorary doctorate awarded||Alum and filmmaker Michael Hoffman receives the first honorary doctorate.|
|2007||Ada and Canyon county voters pass community college ballot initiative||The creation of the new community college district, along with a $10 million donation from the Albertsons Foundation, created the groundwork for what is now the College of Western Idaho.
Read more: Summer 2007 FOCUS
|2007||Diamond Jubilee, 75th anniversary||"Boise State's 1st Buildings":
Spring 2007 FOCUS
"The Faces of Boise State": Summer 2007 FOCUS
Diamond Jubilee celebrations:
|1/21/2015||President Barack Obama visits||President Obama was the first sitting president to visit, and came the day after his 2015 State of the Union address to talk about his proposal for Middle-Class Economics.|
|2015||Boise State Earns Carnegie Classification||Read more https://wpwww-prod.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/uploads/sites/744/2020/03/Boise-State-Earns-Carnegie-Classification-for-Engaging-with-Treasure-Valley-Community-_-UPDATE.pdf|