Use Bold Photography to Tell the Boise State Story
Our photography style reflects and reinforces our brand promise and positioning, portraying moments in dramatic, authentic ways. We have incredibly strong imagery of our employees, students, a vibrant campus, and our great city at our disposal and can work with departments for storytelling imagery to highlight your department.
- Storytelling – Imagery that tells a story rather than documents a space or event
- People in unique moments – Prominently featuring a person or people in a unique moment
- Light – A strong sense of light
- Composition – Interesting, asymmetric compositions
- Negative space – Strong use of negative space allows for big imagery to work with design and text
- Place – A sense of place on our unique campus in our beautiful state
- Blue or orange – The inclusion of something blue or orange helps say Boise State without having to use the words
Capturing Individuals in Photography
Full body, stoic. Facing the camera or facing the horizon. Shallow depth of field, but capture the vibrancy and recognizability of surroundings.
Unexpected angles and lighting. Deep depth of field. Capturing genuine moments of interaction, like a subject sharing their passion with the photographer.
What Not to Use
AI-generated images and stock images are not permitted in any university marketing and promotional materials.
The Office of Communications and Marketing creative team can work with you to tell your story, share/create photos, videos, and design templates for your marketing projects, and make sure your visual materials proudly tell the Boise State story.