Boise State follows Associated Press guidelines in publications and digital marketing efforts except where indicated in the University Writing Style Guide. See below for nuances specific to writing for email marketing efforts.
Always reflect Boise State’s brand
The content of your email should reinforce Boise State’s mission and brand. See Boise State’s brand guidelines for more information.
Keep it brief
Emails should usually be brief and include links to more information or a call to action. People scan email on a variety of devices, so keep paragraphs short and use bullets and headlines to highlight important information and quickly convey points.
Refer to programs, events or actions you wish the recipient to take in the same way within each email. If you create multiple emails within a campaign, you should talk about these concepts in the same way across all emails.
Keep subject lines clear and concise
Readers often decide whether to open an email based on the subject line. Some things to consider when creating your subject line:
- Keep your subject line straightforward. Avoid ambiguity and word plays.
- Limit your subject line to about 50 characters.
- Be transparent about your intentions. Avoid “tricking” recipients into opening your email.
- Do not use “Blue Turf Thinking” or “This is Blue Turf Thinking” in reference to the content of the email.
Use the same language your readers would use. Explain terms that are familiar to you but that your readers may be seeing for the first time.
Use spelling and grammar-check wisely
While spelling and grammar checks can help you spot mistakes, remember that these do not know what you are trying to say nor do they follow Boise State’s style. Review each suggested correction before you make the change.
Test all emails before sending
Always test your email before a mass mailing. View the email through several different web browsers and clients (Outlook, Gmail, etc.) to make sure there are no formatting errors or unrecognizable characters. Create a test data extension within Marketing Cloud that includes designated Quality Assurance (QA) tests with various email domains and devices. Salesforce recommends using this checklist for email campaigns:
- The subject line and preheader are correct
- Email is using the correct header and footer
- Email is using the correct template
- No typos or grammatical errors
- All images render correctly
- Email uses inclusive marketing principles
- All links work, have alias tags set and go to the correct location
- ALT text is set and does not include any spelling/grammatical errors
- All required legal copy is present
- Unsubscribe link is correct and present (unless transactional)
- Text version is correct
- All dynamic elements are functioning properly (if applicable)