CS Department Benefits
Welcome to the Boise State Computer Science Department! We offer undergraduate (Bachelor’s of Science) degrees with emphases in Cybersecurity, Entrepreneurship, Machine Learning (starting Fall’20), and Secondary Education, as well as minors in Computer Science and Cybersecurity and a certificate in Data Science. Our mission is to provide a high-quality undergraduate and graduate education in computer science that prepares students for productive careers and lifelong learning.
- Graduating seniors score in the top 10% to 20% in the national Major Field Test for Computer Science compared to around 200 other CS departments
- Employer surveys and industry feedback affirms the quality of graduates over the long term
- Local employers prefer Boise State CS graduates over those from other programs in the region
- Small classes taught by highly regarded faculty members
- The CS tutoring center is open seven days a week to help first year and sophomore students
- Opportunities to participate in cutting edge research (and be paid for it!)
- A collegial department atmosphere, where students and faculty interact frequently
- Professional development through students clubs
- Many opportunities for internships that allow students to “hit the ground running”
Students and Graduates are in Demand
- About 70% of junior/senior students have internships at local software companies, providing additional financial security and real world application of computer science principles
- Local employers prefer Boise State CS graduates over other programs in the region
- Most students have offers before they graduate. Many get an offer up to a year before graduation
- Hundreds of software, tech and other companies in the Boise area need more CS graduates
- About 90% of graduates remain in the Boise metro area
- Computer Science is predicted by the Bureau of Labor to grow more than any other field over the next ten years
- High starting salaries (among top 2 or 3 majors nationally and the highest at Boise State). Last year, the salaries ranged from 60K to 100K (in Boise metro area), with the overall average around $74K. Check US Department of Education website to compare salaries with other majors and schools
- Students have been placed recently at Acquity group, Amazon, AppDetex, Boeing, Boise Inc, Clearwater Analytics, Cradlepoint, First to File, Google, Healthwise, HP, Impact Sales, Kount, MarkMonitor, Micron, Microsoft, Paylocity, Tsheets/Intuit, VisitPay, Vynyl and many others. Last year 41 different companies hired our students!
- Easy access: many software/tech and other companies that hire interns/graduating students are conveniently located near the new department building. Refer to the CS Ecosystem map to get a sense of how close some of these companies are
Growth and Investment
- The CS Department received major investment by the University and the State in recent years. Since 2014, the number of faculty has more than tripled along with the budget. This growth provides opportunities for many additional interesting and variety of courses, as well as more frequency to help students get through the program.
- The amount of funded research, averaged over three years, has gone up by more than 60 times, which provides many opportunities for undergraduates to get involved in research.
- These investments has quadrupled the number of CS graduates during this growth.