Skip to main content

GPA Standard

Your financial aid eligibility is based on your SAP cumulative GPA, which can be different than your Boise State cumulative GPA.

SAP Cumulative GPA Standard

First undergraduate students must maintain the following minimum comprehensive GPA levels:

  • 0-25 credits earned = minimum 1.75 SAP cumulative GPA
  • 26 or more credits earned = minimum 2.0 SAP cumulative GPA

Second undergraduate students need to maintain a minimum 2.0 SAP cumulative GPA

Graduate students need to maintain a minimum 3.0 SAP cumulative GPA

Credits included in the comprehensive GPA calculation

All of the grades you receive are included in the calculation.  This includes:

  • Remedial credits
  • Excluded credits
  • Repeated courses, aligns with Registrar’s policy
  • Transfer grades accepted by Boise State
  • Challenge courses
  • Reserved classes

Audit credits and incompletes are not included in the comprehensive GPA calculation.

Courses in which a student receives a grade of either Pass/Fail (including ESL) or Complete Withdrawal are counted in certain circumstances.

Pass/Fail (P/F) courses:

Pass/Fail courses are generally calculated in your comprehensive GPA, in the same manner the Registrar’s office calculates the Boise State cumulative GPA. Passing courses are not counted in the GPA in most instances and Failing courses are included in the GPA calculation.

If you have only P/F classes, the term/comprehensive GPA will be calculated in the following manner:

  • If you receive all passing grades, term GPA equals 3.0
  • If you receive any failing grade, term GPA equals 0.0

Once you receive a grade in a regularly graded course (non P/F), the normal comprehensive GPA calculation will be used, as explained above.

P/F classes listed as CNV on your transcript (grades reported prior to 1999) are calculated differently; passing grades will be included in the comprehensive GPA as a 3.0, even if you have other regularly graded courses.

Complete Withdrawals (CW)

If you withdraw from all classes during a semester, the grades will all be reported as CW and your term GPA will be calculated as a 0 GPA. Your overall comprehensive GPA will include the CW semester credits as 0.0 if it is the only term you have attended and you have no transfer credits. If you have attended previously and/or have transfer credits from another institution, the overall comprehensive GPA will be calculated without the CW semester credits.

Regain Financial Aid Eligibility

In order to regain your financial aid eligibility for the minimum comprehensive GPA standard, you need to enroll in and complete enough credits to increase your comprehensive GPA to the minimum levels described in this section. Graduation from a first bachelor’s degree program or starting a first graduate degree program will restart the GPA count. You can also submit a SAP appeal for potential approval of an academic plan.