Skip to main content

Section 5. Planning and Hosting Events

5.1 Event Registration

If you’re planning an activity, fundraising event, meeting, or travel for your organization, you are required to submit an Event Registration in Engage. This registration will allow your organization to be connected with campus partners, receive support and clear next steps, and ensure compliance with university and state policies.  More details about the Event Registration process and requirements can be found on the Student Involvement website.

5.2 University Event Services Policies

Many student organizations hold group meetings or events on campus. For complete information regarding soliciting, marketing booths, fundraising and publicity on campus, use of space in the Student Union, advertising requirements, and room reservations, please refer to the Event Services Event Policies and Guidelines website. All on-campus events will need to also adhere to the Use of University Space Policy #1100.

5.3 Charges for On-Campus Services

The student organization must submit a purchase request prior to finalizing any services, equipment, catering, or personnel provided by University Event Services, Dining Services, and other campus partners. An approved purchase request for the total estimated amount must be in place prior to the event. All expenses (such as: equipment, services, catering, personnel, audio/visual equipment, extended hours, security for events, etc.) are charged directly to the student organization’s account following the event. 

If a cosponsor(s) other than the student organization is paying for all or part of the event expenses, view the Cosponsored and University-Sponsored Events section for more information.

5.4 Contracts

If your event involves any form of contract or signed agreement (including, but not limited to, speakers, artists, businesses, and individuals) please refer to Contracts in Section 3.5.1.

5.5 Cosponsored and University-Sponsored Events

From time-to-time student organizations wish to cosponsor an event or activity with another student organization, a university department, or an organization not affiliated with the university. Such cosponsorships can be great ways for organizations to achieve their goals by partnering with other groups that share their purpose and would like to offer assistance to put on an event or activity. Here are a few things to keep in mind if you are cosponsoring an event:

  1. Student organizations who wish to sponsor third party use of university space for the purpose of events are subject to additional policies. Visit the University Event Services website to learn more about University-Sponsored Events.
  2. If a cosponsor(s) other than the student organization is paying for all or part of the event expenses, a Cosponsorship Agreement and other applicable campus partner forms must be completed and approved prior to the event. 
        • The cosponsor(s) must provide the necessary funding to the student organization before the purchase request is submitted and before the event occurs.

3.  The primary student organization sponsoring an event will submit an Event Registration and  Cosponsorship Agreement to Student Involvement for approval at least two (2) weeks prior to the event taking place. Cosponsoring organizations must approve or deny the cosponsorship form submitted by the primary student organization.  

5.6 Planning Events With Minors Involved

If you are planning an event where individuals under the age of 18 will be present there may be additional steps needed to ensure compliance with university and state regulations. When submitting your Event Registration in Engage please indicate that minors will be in attendance and Student Involvement staff will help connect you with campus partners to learn more about your event and share relevant next steps, training, and/or information. For more information and relevant resources, forms, and training please visit the Minors on Campus website. 

Here are some other key things to keep in mind:

  • Everyone must comply with the Protection of Minors Policy.
  • Everyone working with minors will have to complete a University Volunteer Form and complete Minors on Campus training. 
  • All persons working with minors will need a standard background check, while anyone transporting minors in a vehicle will need an additional vehicular background check. 

5.7 Events with Food

5.7.1 Food On-Campus

  1. When hosting an event with food on-campus your organization has a couple of options. 
  2. Boise State University has a contract with Dining Services (Chartwells). Keep up to date with the Catering Guidelines.
    1. Catering menus are available for all meetings and special occasions on the Boise State Carved + Crafted CaterTrax Website. All menu items are priced per guest unless otherwise indicated on the menu.
    2. In addition to Dining Services’ standard student organization menu, Dining Services has a list of pre-approved vendors and food partners that are also an option. Contact Dining Services to learn more. 
    3. Custom orders and/or requests for student organizations may be available. Contact Dining Services to learn more.
  3. Student Organizations may bring in up to $350 of off-campus food, prepared at an approved vendor location, per event. Additional policy information can be found on the University Event Services website.
    1. An External Catering Request form can be completed to bring in over $350 of outside food. Read the external catering section for more information.
    2. All foods purchased are intended for immediate consumption and are not available for resale.
  4. Pre-approval is required for all food and/or drink purchases. View Section 3.5.1 for details and requirements. 

5.7.2 External Catering for On-Campus Events

Boise State University meets its campus food service needs with an outside contractor, Chartwells. The contract gives Chartwells the first opportunity to provide all food services, concessions, vending, and catering to the entire Boise State campus, including student organizations.

The External Catering Request form is used when groups would like to bring more than $350 of food from an external vendor. Requests must be submitted 10 or more business days prior to the event date to ensure full consideration. A final decision will be communicated to you in writing.

5.8 Showing Movies

5.8.1 Showing In-Person Films

If your student organization would like to host a public viewing of a movie on or off-campus, the rights to view the movie are required. There may be costs associated with the rights to show a movie. A license will need to be purchased in order to secure the rights to show the film. 

Here are three companies that you can check out to see what’s available and the pricing.

If a license for the film you’re wanting is not available through these agencies, your group will need to contact the film/video creator to obtain license purchasing information.

At least two weeks prior to your event, submit an event registration and purchase request to secure the film screening rights. 

  • Albertsons Library on campus also has a limited set of educational movie titles available online for which the university has already paid the rights to be able to show in group settings. Please contact the library’s reference desk for additional guidance. 
  • Netflix has additional information about screening their documentaries on the Netflix educational screenings page.

5.8.2 Streaming Films

In order to be in compliance with copyright law, all participants need to have access to the streaming platform you are using (example: Netflix Teleparty, Amazon Prime, etc.). In some cases, it is possible to use a shared account to join a streaming event, but the participants need to adhere to the platform’s membership policies.

It is not permitted to stream films in a public setting unless specified from the license holder. 

5.9 Risk Management and Insurance

5.9.1 Risk Management at Events

From time-to-time, student organizations may plan events with higher degrees of risk, such as recreational activities or sporting events. In these instances, student organization officers may be encouraged to work with staff in the Office of Risk Management for further consultation. 

  • The Office of Risk Management may offer recommendations and guidelines on ways in which risk can be mitigated for events. Risk-control recommendations provided to student organizations from the Office of Risk Management and Student Involvement are based on assessing health, safety, liability, reputation, and opportunity factors associated with events, not on the viewpoints of individuals or groups organizing events nor the content of expression at events.
  • All incidents and accidents must be reported immediately to the Office of Risk Management and Insurance.

5.9.2 Insurance for Student Organizations

Boise State University is insured through the State of Idaho’s Risk Management insurance program. The program provides limited coverage for recognized student organizations. Faculty advisors and student organization officers are covered for sanctioned events sponsored by a student organization. Events funded through a student organization account are covered by the State of Idaho’s self-insured policy. In the case of events off-campus, recognized student organizations may not be covered by the State of Idaho’s self-insured risk retained account. 

Student organization officers and university employees who serve as advisors to student organizations are covered by the State of Idaho’s self-insured program at all events when acting within the course and scope of their duties. Non-employees authorized by Student Involvement as “authorized volunteers” for the university may also be covered under the State’s insurance if operating in the course and scope of their assigned responsibilities. All volunteers must therefore complete an “Authorized Volunteer Service Agreement” and file it with Student Involvement in advance. Elected officers of ASBSU and students officially appointed to positions in ASBSU, while working in the course and scope of furthering university business, are also covered by the State’s insurance; however, members and leaders of other student organizations are not covered by the State’s insurance policy.

5.9.3 Third Party Vendor Insurance

Any event using a third party vendor requires that a certificate of insurance be on file with the university’s Office of Risk Management and Insurance. Information and possible additional requirements will be requested and verified during the event registration process.

  1. Review the third party Insurance Requirements as outlined by the State of Idaho.  
  2. For those that do not carry a policy which meets the insurance requirements above, a TULIP policy providing special event coverage is acceptable. 

The Office of Risk Management and Insurance has the right to deny any request or event/activity based on the determined impact of risk.

5.10 Alcohol at Events and Activities

  1. The possession, sale, use or consumption of alcoholic beverages during a student organization event, in any situation sponsored or endorsed by the student organization, or at any event an observer would associate with the student organization, must be in compliance with any and all applicable laws of the state, province, county, city and Boise State University policy, and must comply with the third-party vendor expectations (Section 5.10.1.C).
  2. No alcoholic beverages may be purchased through or with student organization funds. The purchase or use of a bulk quantity or common source(s) of alcoholic beverages, for example, kegs or cases, is prohibited.
  3. Open parties, meaning those with unrestricted access by non-members of the student organization, without specific invitation and/or guest list, where alcohol is present, are prohibited.
  4. No members, collectively or individually, shall purchase for, serve, or sell alcoholic beverages to any minor (i.e., those under the legal drinking age).
  5. The possession, sale or use of illegal drugs or controlled substances while on University controlled property including University owned buildings, vehicles and/or grounds, or during a student organization event or at any event that an observer would associate with the student organization is strictly prohibited.
  6. No student organization may co-sponsor an event with an alcohol distributor or tavern at which alcohol is given away, sold or otherwise provided to those present. This includes any event held in, at or on the property of a tavern as defined for purposes of fundraising. 
    1. However, a student organization may rent or use a room or area in a tavern as defined for a closed event held within the provisions of this policy, including the use of third-party vendor expectations (Section 5.10.1.C).
    2. An event at which alcohol is present may be conducted or co-sponsored with a charitable organization if the event is held within the provisions of this policy and the other provisions outlined in the third-party vendor expectations (Section 5.10.1.C).
  7. No student organization may co-sponsor, co-finance, or attend or participate in a function at which alcohol is purchased by any of the host student organizations or groups without also complying with third-party vendor expectations (Section 5.10.1.C).
  8. All recruitment activities associated with any student organization will be non-alcoholic. No recruitment activities associated with any student organization may be held at or in conjunction with a tavern or alcohol distributor as defined in this policy.
  9. No member, associate, new member or novice shall permit, tolerate, encourage or participate in “high-risk drinking” as defined under Section 5.10.2.
  10. Failure to abide by the provisions of this policy may result in the loss of recognition of a student organization as well as other disciplinary and/or legal procedures as appropriate.

5.10.1 Hosting an Event with Alcohol

Student organizations wishing to rent or use a room or area in a tavern or other venue for a closed event at which students may purchase alcohol from a third-party vendor are required to complete an Event Registration in Engage no less than two (2) weeks in advance for review. 

The review will include the following expectations:

  1. A copy of the liability insurance for the third-party vendor and copy of a current liquor license must be provided to Student Involvement no less than one week prior to the event taking place.
  2. Student organizations may not be associated with the selling, distribution, etc. of alcohol, otherwise they will be found in violation of the Alcohol at Events and Activities policy outlined in Section 5.10. 
  3. Third-party vendor expectations include:
    1. To serve and sell the alcohol at the event
    2. Provide staff to check IDs of participants
    3. Provide staff that are licensed or certified server to serve alcohol responsibly
    4. Provide a no-host bar (individuals must purchase their own beverages)
    5. Not serve any alcohol brought to an event by attendees
    6. Ensure the staff serving are not members of a student organization
    7. Have a serving limit of four (4) drinks per person. With the safety and well-being of our community in mind, Boise State University does not support binge-drinking. We therefore support the serving of alcoholic beverages to stay within the limits of four (4) drinks per person at any sanctioned event.
    8. Provide a copy of the required liquor license and liability insurance to the event organizers at least one week prior to the event
  4. It is required that any event serving alcohol also provides food and non-alcohol beverage options or that it be available for purchase at the event. 
  5. Student organizations wishing to be approved to have alcohol at off-campus events need to meet with a Student Involvement and Leadership Center staff member for a health and safety discussion. The meeting will be focused on providing organizations with information on how to host a safe event where alcohol is present. The person(s) from your organization who attend the training must also be present at your event. Contact the Student Involvement office to schedule your training.
    1. The following topics may be discussed at your meeting:
      1. Venue requirements and expectations
      2. Vendor requirements and expectations
      3. Event logistics and student leader responsibilities
      4. Attendee check-in and check-out process
      5. Transportation plans and expectations
      6. Security needs assessment
      7. Designated sober member(s) 
      8. Consumption, safety, and risk reduction plan
      9. Pre and post-event plans
      10. Food and nonalcoholic beverage options
      11. Advisor attendance

5.10.2 Alcohol Definitions

  1. Alcohol Defined: Any liquor (distilled spirits), beer (fermented malt beverage) or wine containing ethyl alcohol.
  2. Tavern Defined: Any establishment generating more than half of annual gross sales from alcohol.
  3. Lower Risk Drinking can be defined as:
    1. Being 21 or older.
    2. Drinking only if you want to, not letting others dictate your choice.
    3. Eating a meal before drinking.
    4. Drinking no more than one drink per hour; maximum 1 for women, two for men. A drink is defined as 5 ounces of wine, 12 ounces of regular beer or 1.5 ounces of 80 proof spirits.
    5. Alternating alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.
    6. Always knowing what you are drinking; never leaving a drink unattended.
    7. Knowing how you will get home safely before you go out. Having a designated driver.
  4. High-Risk Drinking is defined as:
    1. Chugging, drinking games, shots (drinking anything out of a punch bowl, trough, hose, or funnel).
    2. Drinking to get drunk (intoxicated).
    3. Driving after drinking or riding with someone under the influence.
    4. Drinking too much too fast.
    5. Going to parties where people drink too much.
    6. Not knowing what is in your glass or leaving it unattended.
    7. Mixing alcohol with medications or illegal drugs.