Skip to main content


Frequently Asked Questions

General Health Services Questions

Can I come to Health Services if I’m an employee?

All students, faculty and staff are welcome to utilize Health Services.

Are the providers students or licensed practitioners?

  • Medical Services is staffed by licensed physicians, nurse practitioners, and nurses. Students in health-care professional training programs are occasionally involved in the care you receive at Health Services.  Students are clearly identified as such and you will be given the choice whether or not to have a student involved in your care.  All care is directly supervised and double-checked by our licensed providers.
  • Counseling Service is staffed by licensed psychologists, counselors, and social workers. We regularly have students from counseling and social work mental health educational programs doing their practicum experiences in our professional training program. Students are clearly identified, are directly supervised by licensed providers, and you will be given the choices whether or not to have a student involved in your care.

What shots or vaccines do I need in order to attend Boise State University?

The State of Idaho does not require vaccines for students attending public universities or colleges, at this time.  Health Services highly recommends the following vaccines, however:

  1. Meningitis vaccine (at least one dose AFTER age 16).
  2. Influenza (“flu shot”) vaccine YEARLY after October 1st.
  3. Measles, Mumps, and Rubella combination vaccine (“MMR”)–two doses in childhood or adolescence.

Will the information about my visits to Health Services be shared with my parents?

Federal regulations require you to sign a Release of Information, in most cases, in order for us to share any of your private health information with someone else.  Please inquire if you are interested in more information or would like to complete a Release of Information form.

Does a Power of Attorney give me access to my student's medical/mental health records, or do I need a Release of Information?

A Power of Attorney is helpful when a student is unable to speak for themselves and make decisions about their care.  A Release of Information is a more specific document the student signs to give another person or entity permission to discuss their care with a healthcare professional, or access their patient records.  Neither of these documents take the place of the other.  There are a few exceptions to this, such as an emergency, so please contact the clinic for further information.

Medical Questions

How often should I get a physical or a check-up?

In general, all Boise State University students should get a check-up during their first year of college, and periodically thereafter (depending upon health status).  Health Services provides general health maintenance exams for students, faculty, and staff, of all genders.

Can I receive follow-up and continuing psychiatric care from the psychiatrists at Health Services?

Boise State provides psychiatric evaluation and follow up care to students and staff.  Students under the care of a psychiatric provider at home may transfer care to University Health Services while enrolled.

Can Health Services give me information and the vaccines I need when I travel out of the country?

We offer a travel clinic designed to give you the most up-to-date information and vaccination recommendations for your destination.  If you need a vaccination we don’t carry in the clinic, we will provide a prescription and information on where you can get it. Call for an appointment and please be sure to bring in any travel forms you need filled out or signed by a provider.

Wellness | BroncoFit Questions

What is the role of the Office of BroncoFit?

The Office of BroncoFit is your campus resource for all things health and wellness!  BroncoFit is a campus-wide initiative to create America’s healthiest learning environment by encouraging Boise State students, faculty and staff to engage in all aspects of health and well-being.

What is BroncoFit Wellness Release Time?

Boise State benefit eligible employees are allotted 60 minutes of BroncoFit wellness release time per week with supervisor approval. On-campus activities will be approved as well as some off-campus activities in which the supervisor can request documentation. The 60 minutes can be used all at once or divided throughout the week (15 minutes for four days a week, 30 minutes for 2 days a week, etc.) To utilize this service, please fill out the BroncoFit-Release-Time-Form.

Please note

The release time process has changed as of September 2018. The form no longer needs to be sent to Health Services but will stay between the employee and the supervisor. It is encouraged to review annually or as needed.

For questions or to find out more about on-campus wellness programs, contact Kenzie Sorrells, (208) 426-2694 or

What do the BroncoFit Peer Educators do?

BroncoFit Peer Educators are valued members of the university community and provide essential outreach services for students, campus groups, classes, and organizations on a variety of health-related topics. They receive relevant training to develop and implement programs designed to improve campus well-being. Research has demonstrated the effectiveness of students working with students, and our BroncoFit Peer Educators have an immediate understanding of the social and academic pressures Boise State University students face.

Our students are Certified Peer Health Educators in accordance with standards set forth by the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA) BACCHUS Network. The BACCHUS philosophy is that students can play a uniquely effective role – unmatched by professional educators – in encouraging their peers to consider, talk honestly about, and develop responsible habits and attitudes toward high-risk health and safety issues.

Learn more about the BroncoFit Peer Educators on their landing page.

Can the Office of BroncoFit or the BroncoFit Peer Educators do a program for our campus group?

Student group, Boise State department or community resource? BroncoFit workshops and presentations are an opportunity to bring one of our staff members to you! Workshops and presentations can be held during class, meetings, chapter, or even during events. Time slots and topics are flexible with advance notice.

Learn more about workshop and presentation options.

How much does it cost to meet with a dietitian?

We bill most insurances. Call your insurance to find out about coverage for dietitian services. Depending on your plan, services may be a covered benefit or costs will go towards your deductible. If dietitian services are a non-covered benefit with your insurance, each session costs $50. If you do not have insurance, our services are $50 per session.

How do I know if my insurance will cover dietitian appointments?

Call your insurance provider to inquire about coverage. Questions to ask your insurance provider.

Counseling Questions

How much does counseling cost?

At Counseling Services, we bill your insurance for both individual and relationship counseling, as well as psychological testing. We recommend you contact your insurance provider to ensure your plan covers mental health counseling and to clarify the amounts of both your deductible and co-payment.

If you do not have insurance, please discuss options with your counselor or our billing office.

*All group counseling is free of charge.

**Though we bill for the majority of our services, we do not turn people away based on their ability to pay or not. Please contact our office at (208) 426-1459 to learn more about our uncompensated care options.

How do I make a counseling appointment?

If you’re new to Counseling Services you’ll need to call our office at (208) 426-1459 to schedule an Intake Session. We will do our best to get you in as soon as our schedules permit. Please note that our peak seasons are in October/November and then again in March/April, and that during these periods wait times will likely be longer.

What type of services are provided?

Individual Counseling

Individual counseling at Boise State Counseling Services are short and solution focused. In these sessions, you’ll have the chance to work one-on-one with a counselor in a confidential setting to address personal issues that may be psychological, developmental, behavioral, social, or academic in nature.

In your first session, your counselor will help identify your immediate concerns and collaborate with you on a treatment plan tailored to meet your needs. If it is determined that your needs are greater than what Counseling Services has the capacity to provide we will work with you on getting connected to a community provider who can more adequately support you.

Relationship Counseling

Relational counseling at Counseling Services can include you and your partner(s), friend(s), or roommate(s). Relationship issues commonly addressed in short-term counseling are romantic relationship difficulties, beginning and ending relationships, sexual concerns, pre-marital planning, roommate problems, and family issues.

Group Counseling

Group counseling is a way to learn about yourself and your relationships with others in a setting that includes individuals who may have similar experiences. The group setting can help support an individual in the exploration of self, identification of desired change, and allow for the sharing of resources that are unique to a particular group of individuals. We have numerous groups to choose from each semester. If you are interested in joining, submit an inquiry for group counseling here.

Crisis Counseling

There are occasions when a problem or crisis feels too overwhelming to wait for a scheduled appointment. If this is the case, we have staff available during our hours of operation to more immediately assess your needs. These short and focused sessions are free of charge. Call first, if possible, and we can usually get you in quickly. When Counseling Services is closed, calls to (208) 426-1459 are directed to an after-hours Nurse Line (this service does not handle billing issues or make appointments for the Health Center.

Oasis Room

The Oasis Room is a relaxing secluded space in Counseling Services that can be utilized by students, faculty and staff free of charge. There are many benefits of this room, but the primary intent is to provide the campus community with a comfortable space to relax, rest, decompress, and practice being more mindful. The amenities of the Oasis Room include: a massage chair, a happy light, soothing scenic DVDs, and peaceful music. Although an appointment is not necessary, we suggest you call ahead to check on availability for the time you are hoping to utilize the room. Maximum length of visit is 30 minutes at a time.

Will my counseling sessions be private?

All the information obtained during your counseling session will be kept confidential as required by law. Information gathered during your counseling session will not be revealed to anyone outside of  Health Services without your consent except in situations where disclosure is required by law.

How will talking with a counselor benefit me?

Sharing information in an environment that is non-judgmental and caring often helps relieve the emotional pressure caused by keeping our thoughts and feelings to ourselves. Counseling is more than just talking. It is also a way of understating who we are and how we relate to the world around us, by focusing attention on underlying dynamics about which we may have been unaware. This provides new ways of looking at our problems and new choices about how we handle these problems. Benefits of counseling may include but are not limited to: an improved ability to relate to others; a clearer understanding of self, your values and/or goals; increased productivity; and an ability to cope with everyday stress.

What are the risks involved in counseling?

While benefits are expected from the counseling process, there may be periods of increased anxiety or uncertainty, which may affect relationships, your job, and/or your understanding of yourself. It is impossible to predict the extent to which you might experience these changes. You and your Provider will work together to minimize the risks and maximize the benefits of the counseling process.

What is the appointment cancellation policy?

If you need to cancel your appointment we ask that you call and give us at least 24 hours’ notice so we can use those times to see other clients. If you are unable to provide 24 hours’ notice, please still contact us at (208) 426-1459 to cancel and to schedule your next ongoing appointment. You have the option to receive text message reminders from Counseling Services about your upcoming scheduled appointment. If you do not show or call to cancel your appointment you will be charged a no show fee.

What if I need help when Counseling Services is closed?

Our hours of operation at Counseling Services are 8 am-5 pm, M-F. When Counseling Services is closed, calls to (208) 426-1459 are directed to an after-hours Nurse Line (this service does not handle billing issues or make appointments for the Health Center). Additional resources can be found on the resources tab on our webpage. In the case of an emergency call 911 immediately. To reach the 24/7 National Behavioral Health Line text or call 988.

Billing & Insurance Questions

How do I know if my insurance will cover my care?

All insurance plans are different, and the best way to know what your benefits is to call your insurance company and inquire.  The phone number is usually on the back of your insurance card.

Is Health Services in-network 'out of state' insurance plans?

Health Services accepts most insurance plans. However, be aware that many out of state insurance companies have geographic exclusions, which limit coverage for care performed out of state. It is best to contact your carrier and inquire about coverage here in Idaho

Here are the steps to do that:

  1. CONTACT your insurance: Ask if you have coverage in Idaho (Primary care, urgent care, specialty care, ER). Is a referral or prior authorization required to be seen at Health Services
  2. ASK if the provider you are scheduled to see is in your network. For a list of our providers visit Reference the Boise State tax ID 820290701.
  3. INQUIRE what you member responsibility may be: Copay, deductible, and coinsurance.

What is the Health Services billing process?

  1. Health Services will courtesy bill services to your insurance company.
  2. If you are a currently enrolled student, any remaining patient balance after insurance has been processed the claim will be transferred to your myBoiseState Account.
  3. If you are an employee, any remaining patient balance after insurance has processed the claim will be sent to you in a statement.
  4. Be prepared to pay your co-pay. Co-pays are expected at the time of service.