Race – The Power of An Illusion explores the question: what is race? It examines misconceptions about race, biology, and how our social divisions are not natural or inevitable, but made.
- Visit the California Newsreel Vimeo page to learn more and rent the documentary for $4.99.
- View an excerpt from Race – The Power of An Illusion here: “How the Racial Wealth Gap Was Created“
Online Companion Available
An online companion for Race – The Power of An Illusion was created by California Newsreel, the Othering & Belonging Institute, the U.C. Berkeley Library, and the American Cultures Center at U.C. Berkeley.
In this online companion, you will find:
- A thorough exploration of themes in the film
- Video excerpts and interviews with leading scholars on race
- Lesson plans and handouts for the classroom
- Articles from the original research for Race – The Power of An Illusion
- Questions submitted by viewers, answered by a panel of scholars and experts
Click to visit: Online Companion for Race – The Power of An Illusion