Department Chair Evaluation (Policy 4530)
University Policy 4530
Last Revision Date
Scope and Audience
This policy applies to all department chair evaluations.
1. Policy Purpose
To establish a procedure for official faculty evaluation of the department chair.
2. Responsibilities and Procedures
Prior to April 1 of each year, each official faculty member shall make an evaluation of their department chair. The form used for such evaluation may be developed by individual departments or colleges/schools/divisions, but should include evaluation of:
- Interdepartmental communication,
- Effective management of budget,
- Organization of department program and administrative tasks,
- Leadership in improving teaching and other scholastic endeavors, and concern for faculty and student welfare.
- The faculty member shall include in their evaluation a recommendation as to whether the individual should continue as department chair.
2.2 Evaluation Transmittal
a. The evaluations from each faculty member shall be transmitted to the dean of the appropriate college. The dean shall prepare a signed summary of the evaluations and recommendation to be sent to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. Copies of the summary shall also be forwarded to the department chair and placed in the individual’s official personnel file by the dean at an appropriate time.
b The dean shall guarantee the confidentiality of the information and the anonymity of the evaluators.
The dean shall guarantee the confidentiality of the information and the anonymity of the evaluators.
July 1995; April 1996; March 2004