Faculty Peer Review (Policy 4320)
University Policy 4320
Last Revision Date
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, (208) 426-1202
Scope and Audience
This policy applies to all faculty.
1. Policy Purpose
To establish a process for peer review of faculty.
2. Responsibilities and Procedures
a. Each department or equivalent unit of the University may annually elect, having previously agreed upon the procedure, a personnel committee. The personnel committee shall carry out the duties identified below. Membership on the personnel committee shall be limited to tenured members of the department or unit.
b. If a department or unit does not use a personnel committee, the chairperson shall be responsible for carrying out these duties for the department.
The personnel committee (or chairperson) shall:
a. Conduct the departmental peer review process to annually review the performance of nontenured, official faculty members of their department or unit.
b. Conduct the process for making the departmental recommendation for promotion, tenure, or tenure review and report the recommendation to the college, school, or division promotion and tenure committee.
c. Carry out any other personnel responsibilities as assigned by a vote of the department.
The department or unit chairperson shall be responsible for carrying out this policy.
3. Related Information
- University Policy 4215 (Part-Time Tenure-Eligible Faculty)
- University Policy 4320 (Faculty Peer Review)
- University Policy 4310 (Faculty Promotion and Tenure Committee Duties and Composition)
- University Policy 4340 (Faculty Tenure and Promotion Guidelines)
- University Policy 4380 (Periodic Review of Tenured Faculty)