What is Service-Learning? (for community partners)
What is Service-Learning?
Service-Learning is a course-based, credit-bearing educational experience by which students participate in an organized service activity that meets identified community needs and reflect on the service activity on such a way as to gain further understanding of course content, a broader appreciation of the discipline, and an enhanced sense of civic responsibility.
National and Community Service Trust Act
What Does Service-Learning Look Like for Community Organizations?
- Service-learners come from all colleges and thirty departments.
- The majority of service-learners serve with one partner for 15-20 hours per semester.
What Are the Essential Elements of a Service-Learning Partnership?
- Students support your needs! Service-learning students come to your agencies through projects that you post using the service-learning database.
- Students learn from you! As a professional in the field you have an opportunity to mentor those that will work alongside and after you
What are some examples?
- Social Work: Help a person in rehab find sober housing and access to community resources.
- Biology: Help to educate cancer patients about their specific type of cancer.
- Psychology: Engage with a senior citizen as a resident companion at a long term care facility.
- Personal Health: Students help refugees learn English and nutrition.
- Gain a continuous volunteer pool
- Build relationships with potential employees
- Tap into student idealism and enthusiasm
- Grow your base of future community support
- Complete the Community Partner Inquiry Form and Service-Learning staff will contact you to discuss possible course partnerships based on agency needs.
- Agencies new to the Service-Learning Program will receive helpful resources and advice to assist their growth as a student service site.
For information on Service-Learning Community Partnerships, please review the following:
The roles and responsibilities for the agency, the faculty, the student, and the Service-Learning staff.
Guidelines and ideas to help an agency become a great Service-Learning site.
Planning for Service-Learning
Tips for planning service-learning projects and working with students.