Examples & Snapshots
One of the greatest aspects of SL is its flexibility in form and substance. SL can be applied to almost any subject or class style. Below are just a few examples of how SL has been incorporated into different classes and projects.
- Child Psychology: Students tutor children at Headstart.
- Chemistry: Students test ponds for West Nile Virus.
- Communication: Students design a P.R. campaign for the Housing Authority.
- Personal Health: Students help youth learn nutrition guidelines.
Watch brief videos of Boise State faculty discussing SL in these courses:
- BIO 100 Concepts of Biology
- ENGL 345 Shakespeare: Tragedies & History
- ENGL 512 Technical Rhetoric & Applications
- KINES 140 Personal Health
Read about specific SL courses that were highlighted in the Campus Update
View other examples of SL courses and projects.
- Six Types of SL: Review these six to see if one fits better with a discipline or course.
- Formats: SL can be fully-integrated, optional, or offered as a one-credit SL Lab
- Indirect vs. Direct SL: Some learning objectives fit with indirect (project-based SL) while others fit with direct client contact. Check out this list of examples.