Many faculty integrate service-learning reflection questions into traditional assignments, while other faculty develop assignments explicitly to help students apply theory to service. See also Sample Rubrics.
Assignments specific to SL
SL assignment template (for project-based SL) this lists all elements to include in SL assignments.
SL Exhibition: If your class includes a final assignment (a final reflection, project summary, or presentation), the Service-Learning Exhibition can help your students present their achievements to a wider audience.
Specific SL assignments
- Journals or logs
- Outreach project (GENDER 300)
- Interview, meeting, letter to public official (EDUC 525)
- Individual Civic Engagement Projects (if community partners are not available)
(These are samples; use them to generate ideas.)
- Canvas discussion board posts (GENDER 300, ENGL 401)
- Presenting chapter of text (EDUC 524)
- Interview assignment EDUC 525
- Final Poster (Featured Examples)
Readings to help frame the SL experience
- Pre-service readings (a selection of quick articles or chapters)