Design Your Service-Learning Course
Whether you would like to brainstorm ideas for service-learning (SL) or start planning your course, below is an outline of recommended steps and dates to keep in mind. The SL staff can assist you through the entire planning and implementation process.
Feel free to skip to Gaining SL Designation.
Before designing your SL course…
- Investigate SL (definition, examples, formats, etc.)
See examples and SL project ideas from many disciplines
- Review the faculty checklist to see what’s involved
- Access staff support: Contact the SL Director, Kara Brascia, to discuss what SL could look like in your course, what’s involved, and how SL staff can assist.
Ready to design your course?
1. Start developing your syllabus
2. Design the SL experience with community partners
3. Integrate effective practices
4. Apply for SL Designation
Complete the SL Designation form and submit it to the SL Director for review and approval.
- Skim the crucial steps for success
- Plan how you will explain SL to students
- Participate in SL workshops and events during the year
- Think about risk, safety, and contract requirements (call SL staff, who know all about these things)