Skip to main content

Senior Waiver FAQs

Current Policy

As of Fall 2019, you must be 65 or older to qualify for the Senior Citizen Fee Waiver. Seniors will not be charged for auditing a class except for lab/materials fees, but will be charged full price if they are enrolling for credit. For more information, please see Policy: Senior Citizen Fees

Frequently Asked Questions

Senior Waivers

What if I turn 65 after the semester begins? Can I still get the discount?

The age of 65 must be reached prior to the start of the term in which you are enrolling.

How does this change impact someone between 60-64?

Senior students ages 60-64 who are active degree-seeking students and started before Fall 2019 under the previous waiver program will be five years to complete the degree they are currently seeking at the $5 per credit fee plus a $25 per semester registration fee (plus lab/materials fees and other class fees); this is through Spring 2024.

Students age 60-64 who are not degree-seeking or students who change their major will be legacied into the new waiver policy of audit at no cost and credit-bearing courses will be full fees.

Who was legacied?

Students 60 and older who were actively degree-seeking in the Spring 2019 term will be legacied. They will be given 5 years (until Spring 2024) to complete their currently declared major at the old Senior Citizen rate of $5 a credit. If they change majors they will fall under the new policy.

The following programs are not eligible for the Senior Citizen audit waiver:
Self-support/Self-funded programs
Noncredit/personal enrichment courses

Non-degree seeking students that are age 60-64 and were active as of Spring 2019 in the senior citizen fee waiver option will be moved to the new fee waiver of audit at no cost and courses for credit will bear full fees.

What is the self-support program? What is Non-credit personal enrichment courses?

Self-Support programs or alternative fee programs are programs that are offered by specific departments that are not part of traditional tuition and fees. A list of these programs is available here: Alternative Fee Programs .

Non-credit personal enrichment courses are often offered through Osher LifeLong Learning Institute and other departments on campus.

Can I change to degree-seeking in order to be legacied in?

You must have been degree-seeking at the beginning of Spring 2019 in order to be legacied into the previous Senior Citizen fee waiver option.

Am I legacied in and can offices see that?

Student Financial Services is able to look at your student account and tell you if you are legacied. It will be based on a student group that you will be assigned to automatically as of Spring 2019.

Can I change my major?

Yes, however, if you change your major, you will no longer be legacied at the previous Senior Citizen rate. You will fall under the new waiver structure of full fees for credit bearing and no fees if you audit.

The legacy clause is to aid those current seniors who have been actively progressing toward an intended degree. Boise State is supportive of life-long learning and the audit offering will allow that for free to seniors 65 years or older.

When do I register?

As a degree seeking student, you will be emailed the date you will be able to register for classes. It will also be located in your Student Center.

If you are a non-degree seeking student, you will be able to enroll during open enrollment each term.

What’s the difference between credit and audit?

When classes are taken for credit, the classes will appear on your transcript along with your grade. These classes may be used toward a degree if you are a degree-seeking student.

During registration on myBoiseState, you may elect to take a course for audit instead of credit, if space is available in the class. You will receive neither credit nor a grade (A+ through F). On your transcript, audit status indicates that you had a seat in the class, but may or may not have participated in class activities.

You may change your registration status from credit-to-audit or audit-to-credit until the appropriate session deadline (see the Academic Calendar). If you fail to meet the audit requirements established by the instructor, the instructor may give you a final grade of UAU (Unsatisfactory Audit). For more information, contact the Registrar’s Office, Administration Building, Room 110, (208) 426-4249.

Why would I get dropped from my class?

When you register for a class for audit, there is potential to be dropped in the first five days of the semester if there are students on the waitlist, attempting to take the class for credit.

Can I return my book if I was dropped?

If the book was purchased from the campus bookstore, it can be returned. Please refer to the date on your receipt and see the textbook return policy for more information.

How late into the term can I be dropped?

Degree seeking students can be added from the waitlist up until the sixth day, which means you could be dropped up to five days after classes have started.

Will students be notified when they are dropped from a course (as an audit student)?

If you are dropped from a course that you are auditing, you will be notified via your Boise State email.

Will having a permission number (to override a full class) override being dropped from the course?

No, permission numbers will not override being dropped from a course if you are auditing.

Will I be able to get Football tickets and REC access?

If you are a full-fee paying student you will be eligible for these benefits.
REC Center Discounts are available for Alumni Association members and part-time students.

Does this policy apply to both undergraduate and graduate students? (Graduate degree seeking student would mean they have to be admitted into a program)

Yes, and graduate degree seeking would be seen in PeopleSoft under academics, current status.

When I add a course (as an audit) will I be communicated with that there is the chance I might be dropped?

Current Senior Citizen students will be notified via email of the change in our policy and the process that we will take if a class is full and they are auditing. This will not be an ongoing communication.

Do I have to sign up and will students be notified of the conditions of the waiver when they sign up for it initially?

Students are automatically enrolled and added to the student group when they reach 65, so they will no longer have to sign up.

Any waiver will be based entirely on how they choose to enroll in a class, either credit or audit. Student Financials will not be notifying students on an ongoing basis. Information on the program is available in the Boise State Policy Manual and on the Student Financials Website.

Back To Top