For-Credit Application Process
Students can earn academic credit for internship hours? Here are some basic requirements to consider for your internship.
- Internship duties must align with an academic discipline and meet planned learning objectives
- Registration for academic credit is subject to approval by each department
- For-credit internships typically have pre-requites such as junior/senior standing, minimum GPA, etc.
- Every 45-50 hours worked equals 1 academic credit
- You must complete all your internship hours in the same semester that you apply for academic credit
During required undergraduate advising, ask your Academic Advisor if you can use internship credit toward your degree and major. An advisor will help identify if you need credit and where it fits into your degree plan. Need to meet outside of required advising? Contact Academic Advising today.
After you have met with an advisor, find and apply to different internship opportunities. Schedule with a career coach to draft your resume, practice for interviews, or target specific business industry internships. Want to start exploring now? Find opportunities on the Andrus Internship and Job Board.
Once you have found an internship and accepted an offer, complete the following steps to apply for academic credit.
- Log into your myBoiseState account.
- Start your electronic application by clicking the plus (+) sign next to “Internship Application for Academic Credit” on the left-hand side of the application page.
- Fill out the application with as much detail as you are able.
- Complete the required online orientation and quiz.
Please note, the main University Career Services office runs this portion of the application process. Contact Career Services directly for technical assistance or to review more information about the application steps.
After you submit your application, it will be routed to your department internship coordinator (listed below) and your internship supervisor (external organization or company contact) for approval. For this reason, we suggest communicating with both prior to submitting your application.
Please note, you will not be registered for your internship credit(s) until your department internship coordinator and internship supervisor approve your application.
Once your application is approved, the Registrar’s Office will manually add your internship credits to your class schedule.
You must submit and obtain approval for all application materials by the following deadline(s).
FALL 2020 – September 9, 2020.
SPRING 2021 – February 19, 2021.