The Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) internship provides academic credit for on-the-job experience under the guidance of a supervisor who is a professional in the field. Internships require approximately 45 hours of work for each hour of academic credit awarded. An internship experience offers students:
- Practical, hands-on work experience
- The opportunity to see first-hand whether a particular field is a good match
- The chance to practice what you have learned in the classroom
- First-hand knowledge of an organization
- The ability to earn academic credit
- The potential to earn money while also taking classes
- The opportunity to network and make valuable connections for future jobs
- Experience in resume writing and interviewing
Is an Internship Right for You?
Are you interested in maximizing your educational experience and putting yourself in a better position for future success? Do you know that over 80% of all college students graduate with an internship experience? Do you know that many organizations use their internship program as an applicant pool from which to draw on when hiring for full-time employment?
BAS students enrolled in both the Flex and Online tracks may earn up to 9-credits* of internship toward their degree. Contact your academic advisor to discuss whether an internship is right for your academic goals.
You must complete 45 hours of work at your internship in order to earn 1-credit. Be sure to work with your internship supervisor and academic advisor to determine how many credits are appropriate.
(*493 Internship, 494 Conference or Workshop, and 496 Independent Study are limited to a combined total of 9-credits)
How to Enroll in a Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS 493) Internship
Once you’ve decided that an internship is right for your academic goals, follow these steps to get enrolled in BAS 493.
- Identify an internship opportunity.
- Schedule an appointment with the BAS Internship Coordinator, Baker Lawley, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Apply online through the Career Center website. (Click on the Internship Application for Academic Credit link in Step 1. You will find BAS 493 listed under Department: College of COAS and Subject: Applied Science.)
- Complete the internship online orientation workshop and quiz.