Skip to main content

Earning a 6-12 Teaching Certificate in History

Boise State’s Secondary Education program offers a series of courses taken alongside your degree program to earn a grades 6-12 teaching certificate in the state of Idaho with an endorsement in History. Learn more here

Remember to fill out the general application scholarship before March 15th.

Specific things to note about History, Secondary Education

    • You have two different degree options for History Education:
      • 1. History, Social Studies, Secondary Education
        • History and Social Studies certification
          • History coursework, along with 12 credits Geography, 12 credits Economics, 12 credits Political Science
          • Slightly more credits, but great for options in Social Studies subjects at the Middle or High School level
      • 2. History, Multidisciplinary, Secondary Education
        • History certification with an endorsement in another subject
          • History coursework, along with 18-24 credits in another subject
          • Great for options if seeking a History endorsement and a non-Social Studies field (i.e. English, Math, Science, etc.)
    • History Secondary Education requires two semesters in a world language sequence
      • You need a 101 and 102 course sequence in a world language to fulfill this requirement, not just a 101 course like in other majors
    • History Secondary Education is cohorted
      • You can only apply to the program once per year
      • You are expected to complete your final three semesters in a particular order
        • Resulting in Student Teaching your Spring semester
    • You will complete your background check for your Professional Year application, not your Teacher Education application
  • Educational Courses you will take:
    • Early Field Experience (After you are admitted to Teacher Education):
      • ED-CIFS 301: Teaching Experience I
      • ED-CIFS 302: Learning and Instruction
      • ED-ESP 350: Teaching Students with Exceptional Needs
    • Professional Year Internship (After you are admitted to your Professional Year):
      • ED-CIFS 401: Professional Year – Teaching Experience II
      • ED-LLC 444: Content Literacy for Secondary Education
      • ED-CIFS 405/534: Teaching Secondary Social Studies (FALL ONLY)
    • Professional Year Student Teaching (Your final Professional Year semester):
      • ED-CIFS 484: Junior High Teaching Experience III OR
      • ED-CIFS 485: Senior High Teaching Experience III

More information about teachers education –  Click Here

Application Process

Deadline  & Requirements

Application deadlines for admission to Secondary Teacher Education Early Field Experience are the third Friday in September for spring semester.

In order to apply to Teacher Education, you need the following

  • A completed application form
  • Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
  • Major GPA of at least 3.0
  • GPA of at least 3.0 in all education courses
  • A minimum grade of C- in all required courses

Application Information

An interview will be required prior to admittance.

Admission to the Professional Year

Internship and Student Teaching constitute your Professional Year. They are usually taken during your last two semesters. In order to take Internship and Student Teaching courses you must be admitted to the Professional Year.   Applications are only available in January and February.

Application Process

Deadline & Requirements

Application deadlines for the Professional Year (Internship and Student Teaching) is First Friday in February to begin Professional Year in the fall semester.

In order to apply to your Professional Year, you need the following:

  • Senior standing
  • Successful completion of Early Field Experience courses, or currently enrolled
  • Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
  • GPA of at least 3.0 in all education courses
  • GPA of at least 3.0 in your major and minor
  • A grade of C- or better in all required courses
  • Passing scores on all PRAXIS II exams for subjects in which students seek endorsement must be received by the Office of Teacher Education before beginning Student Teaching.
  • Most districts require student teachers to undergo a criminal background check.

Application Information


Students from Boise State University are recommended to the State Department of Education after meeting the following requirements:

  • Demonstrate good moral character
  • Complete required course work in an academic department in the program designed for secondary education
  • Complete secondary teacher education requirements
  • Obtain the recommendation of the Dean of the College of Education

Idaho State Department of Education Certification Manual

For information on subject certification requirements see: For PRAXIS test and service fees, please see PRAXIS Test and Service Fees.


Have Questions About Teacher Education?

Check Out – Frequently Asked Questions