Faculty Initiated Withdrawal (Policy 4190)
University Policy 4190
Last Revision Date
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, (208) 426-1202
Office of the Registrar, (208) 426-4249
Scope and Audience
This policy applies to all course instructors.
- University Policy 3120 (Official Student Absence Policy)
- University Policy 3140 (Academic Grievance)
1. Policy Purpose
To provide the course instructor with a procedure to drop a student from a course.
2. Policy Statement
A course instructor may drop a student from a course for failure to attend class under the following conditions:
- The student does not attend one of either of the first two meetings of a class that meets more than once a week, or
- The student does not attend the first meeting of a class that meets only once a week, or
- The student does not satisfy the initial participation requirements of a fully online class.
3. Responsibilities and Procedures
a. The instructor is responsible for initiating a drop under this policy.
b. A student who wishes to be excused from attending one of the first two meetings of a class must obtain permission from the instructor prior to the start of the class.
a. A Faculty-Initiated Withdrawal Form must be completed and submitted to the Registrar’s Office by the “Last date to Register/Add or Drop without a W.” The date varies by course session (see the Academic Calendar for dates).
b. Students are dropped without a “W,” and fees may be refunded, if applicable.
A student may be granted “official absence” from class when the student documents and notifies the instructor in advance of their participation in an official, University-recognized activity pursuant to University Policy 3120 (Official Student Absence Policy).
3.4 Right of Appeal
a. A student who is dropped for non-attendance may appeal the decision with the instructor who completed the drop. The student may enroll with the permission of the instructor.
b. A student who disagrees with the decision of the instructor may follow the procedures outlined in University Policy 3140 (Academic Grievance).
4. Related Information
Faculty-Initiated Withdrawal Form
July 1995; April 2020