CLEAN ENERGY MAGNETS
What is the ambitious goal of this project?
Create a rare-earth free magnet more powerful than rare-earth magnets and at a cost less than a tenth of that of rare-earth magnets.
This team will make magnets for economical and ecological wind turbines and electric motors.
Students will be able to
(1) discuss the geopolitical, human rights, and environmental issues of green technology based on contemporary rare-earth containing magnets,
(2) describe the methods for making alloy magnets and
(3) acquire and interpret data pertinent to magnetic materials.
This project uses the following tools and methodologies:
- case studies
- engineering lab
- laboratory testing
- market research
- quantitative research methods
Majors and Interests Needed
Preferred course preparation: None
- Bachelor of Applied Science
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Environmental Studies Program
- Global Studies
- Information Technology & Supply Chain Management
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Materials Science & Engineering
- Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering
VIP Coach Information
Dr. Peter Müllner is a faculty in the Micron School of Material Science and Engineering and an expert in magnetic materials.
John Martin is a graduate student in the Materials Science and Engineering PhD program studying rare-earth-free permanent magnets.
VIP 200, VIP 400 or VIP 500.
Full semester course. Choose to enroll in 1 or 2 credits.
Team meetings: In-person, Meeting times to be decided once students register
Interested in joining this team?
For more information and to request a permission number to register contact Peter Müllner at firstname.lastname@example.org or John Martin at email@example.com OR complete this interest form and someone will contact you. Check out this page for tips on contacting a professor.
To register, search by Subject: Vertically Integrated Projects, read the project description to find the right section of VIP 200, 400, or 500.
Here are instructions on how to use a permission number Add with a permission number