About the Gallery Panel
The Gallery panel is our supported method to display a group of photos together. There are two different layouts for the Gallery panel. The modal layout features a text on one side and a few images on the other. The mosaic layout option provides for additional images and is in a vertical format.
Gallery Panel Guidelines
- Use for an image gallery.
- Follow all Image and Media Requirements and Best Practices.
- Review the Recommendations for Accessible Panels page to learn more about requirements for headings, images, links, and media published in this panel.
- Use of this panel for an undocumented purpose or in a non-standard way is discouraged and may not be supported.
How to Configure the Gallery Panel
- In the WordPress editor, select Add a New Panel or Live Preview.
- Select the “Gallery” panel.
- Title: This is a text field. Content entered here will appear as the panel header text.
- Accent Title: This is an optional text field. This content appears in a smaller font above the panel’s title.
- Description: Enter an optional description of the gallery. For design purposes, keep this brief.
- Image Gallery: This is an image upload field for multiple files. The first three images will be used as the images displayed in right-side column, if you choose the modal layout. Additional images will be used if you choose the mosaic layout. Optimal image size is 1300px x 687px, but you can upload various sizes and ratios – just make sure they are not too small.
- Alternative Text: Since galleries are primarily visual include a description of what’s going on in the image in the alternative text field on the image details. Alternative text is only visible to users who can’t see the image.
- Captions: You may consider adding additional context to your images by adding a brief caption on the image details page. Captions are visible to all users so they should be different than the alternative text description. If you add a caption you should also include a brief alternative text description that is different from the caption text.
- Custom Language: The default language is English. Language options will generate markup signifying that content as being in the selected language.
- Gallery Layout: The default layout is Modal. The Modal choice opens the gallery in a modal window for the gallery images. The Mosaic choice displays all images in a grid layout on the page. The layout is prescriptive; the first image will be full width in the column, the second and third images 50% each in the second row and the remaining images 25% width for each row thereafter.