Many simple contracts can be accommodated on the University’s approved forms; the Contract for Services and the Local Engagement agreement forms listed below without submitting the contract to the Office of the General Counsel’s (OGC) for review if:
Please note: There are instances where contracts require legal review and the Contract for Services agreement and Local Engagement agreement forms cannot be used. See exceptions.
The following conditions must be met in order to use the Contract for Services form or the Local Engagement Agreement form without requiring OGC review:
- Contract must be signed by an authorized signer on behalf of Boise State.
- When the contract is prepared on the Contract for Services agreement or on the Local Engagement Agreement forms.
- No changes have been made to the form and/or no additional business terms have been added.
- The term of the contract is less than one year.
- The amount of the contract is within your department’s signature authority an individual designated by the CFO/VP for Finance and Administration. Contact OGC to confirm who can sign your contract.
- Independent contractor status has been verified by Accounts Payable.
- If you contract is $10,000 or above have you contacted Procurement fka Purchasing to determine if the contract is exempt from bidding?
- Have you received approval from other departments if applicable? Such as OIT or Risk Management.
- Authorized Unit exemptions: if your unit has a specific exemption from routing your contract for review.
If you cannot meet all of the conditions listed above, please submit the contract to OGC for review through the contract routing process.
University Approved Forms:
- Contract for Services and Checklist (PDF) Use for consultants, contractors, special service, etc. and work is being done on campus.
- Local Engagement Agreement (PDF) Use for speakers, artists, and performers or anyone who is performing, the event is advertised, or merchandise is being sold.
- Department Templates Forms created specifically drafted for your department by OGC.
Forms/agreements presented to you by outside vendors are sometimes problematic. Typically, these forms have been drafted to provide maximum protection to the vendor, with little or no protection for Boise State. Moreover, they frequently contain provisions (i.e., certain insurance, indemnification, choice of law, jurisdiction, and venue provisions, among others) which the University as a state entity cannot agree or adhere to. Before agreeing to another vendor/party’s form agreement, please forward the agreement to OGC for review.