Document is not machine-readable
Watch Troubleshooting Issues: Not Machine-Readable PDF
Not Machine-Readable PDF Video Transcript
PDF documents flagged as not machine readable by Siteimprove do not contain any machine readable text. So most commonly these are scanned documents, so they’re appearing as images. You can fix these so that they’re machine readable PDFs by following these simple steps.
- First open your document from Siteimprove using this open a new window button.
- Download your document and open it in Adobe Acrobat Pro.
- Using the Accessibility tool, and if you don’t have the Accessibility tool added to your tool list you can find it by selecting more tools.
- Select Accessibility, Accessibility Check, and then Start Checking.
- For a non-machine readable text, one of the first errors you’ll have under the document issues is Image-only PDF – Failed. Right click the Image-only PDF – Failed error and select Fix.
- From the Recognize Text General Settings, select your Document Language, your Output, and your Download Sample To. If your document has text, select Editable Text and Images and then select OK. Adobe will then generate a report and return a machine readable text. This may take a long time if it’s a very lengthy document.
- Once your document report is done you now have text on your PDF document and the image only PDF is now listed as passed. If your document has other errors you can find tips on how to resolve these errors on Boise State Webguide.