About the Events Panel
The Events panel is used with the Events feature within the WordPress theme. You can choose to dynamically display events, or manually choose which events to display.
Events Panel Guidelines
- Follow all Image and Media Requirements and Best Practices. If you are creating events using The Events Calendar plugin in WordPress for use in an Events Feed Panel, ensure that images in the event do not contain text or that all of the relevant event information is included as text web content in the event.
- Review the Recommendations for Accessible Panels page to learn more about requirements for headings, images, links, and media published in this panel.
- Use of this panel for an undocumented purpose or in a non-standard way is discouraged and may not be supported.
How to Configure the Events Panel
- In the WordPress editor, select Add a New Panel or Live Preview.
- Select the “Events” panel.
- Title: Content entered here will appear as the panel heading.
- Description: Enter a brief, optional description for the events feed. Note that to keep the Events Feed Panel optimized for mobile display, text entered in the Description field will not display on small screen sizes. Do not include critical information or instructions in this field.
- Data Source: If you’re displaying events you’ve configured on your website, choose the “Local Events” option. If you’re pulling in events from another Boise State website, choose either the JSON or RSS option (note that you may need assistance from the WordPress Support team to determine the feed addresses for the JSON or RSS options).
- Local Posts > Manual: This option allows you to specifically choose which event items you’d like to appear on the panel. Minimum is 4, maximum is 8. Choose “Select a Post,” and click on first dropdown and select “Posts.” Begin typing a keyword for your event in the second dropdown field to autocomplete find your event item. You can re-order events by clicking and dragging to your desired order.
- Local Posts > Dynamic: This option will dynamically pull your site’s events into the panel and display them in descending order based on creation date. Choose the first dropdown and select “Events.” You can filter events by categories, tags or date. Next, choose the maximum number of Event items to display where indicated.
- All Events Link: Use this option to link to your main events page. You can use either the https:// address of your main events page, or just your site’s primary website address (e.g., boisestate.edu/news).
- Custom Language: The default language is English. Language options will generate markup signifying that content as being in the selected language.
- Accent Color: Choose from orange or blue.
- Title Color: The default selection is black. The choices are black, orange or blue. This selection determines the color of your panel title heading.
- Layout: Select Five-Up, Seven-Up or Eleven-Up depending on the number of events you would like to display. Note that each event title in the panel will be marked as a heading and will be read out to assistive technology users who are scanning through the headings on the page. Perform a review of all the headings on your page to make sure the headings are easily scannable and that all users can quickly access the most relevant and important content on your page.