Skip to main content

Minors on Campus FAQs

What Boise State policy addresses minors on campus?

Policy 12060 (Protection of Minors) provides guidelines intended to safeguard minors on campus. This policy applies to all individuals who interact with minors through university-sponsored or affiliated programs or activities (“University Programs”). These individuals are obligated to undergo training and background verifications.

I want to volunteer, what do I need to do?

Fill out the Authorized Volunteer Services Agreement form with the office of Risk Management. The Director or Responsible Party for the activity you are volunteering for will request that Human Resource Services (HRS) conduct a background verification to clear you for participation. Questions regarding background verifications should be directed to HRS by email at, or by phone at (208) 426-1616.

How do I initiate the background check process?

All individuals who will be participating or interacting with minors in University Programs must successfully complete a background verification before they can participate in the University Program. To initiate the background verification process, contact HRS by emailing, or by calling (208) 426-1616.

Is there a training program for individuals who interact with minors on campus?

Yes.  The Interacting with Minors Training is designed for those who work with minors, including employees, interns, and volunteers, for University Programs that accept custody and control of the minors during the University Program. It covers signs of abuse, neglect, standards of conduct for interacting with minors, and reporting allegations of a crime as a Campus Security Authority.

What are the recommended staff ratios?

Boise State University recommends that University and Non-University Youth-Serving Programs follow the current American Camp Association guidelines for staff ratios. When appropriate, the program may need additional staff based on the needs of the type of program and participants ability. 

Program Staff Ratios Table

Number of StaffDay-Only Minor ParticipantsOvernight Minor ParticipantsAge
1655 years and younger
1866-8 years
11089-14 years
1121015-17 years

Why am I identified as a Campus Security Authority (CSA)?

The Jeanne Clery Act (“Clery Act”) requires all institutions to collect crime reports from a variety of individuals and organizations that the Clery Act considers to be “campus security authorities.” Employees, interns, and volunteers for University Programs are considered a Campus Security Authority (CSA) because such individuals are working or volunteering for a program or activity involving minors who may report a criminal offense. All CSAs must complete annual training covering Boise State University’s obligations under federal law, reporting requirements as a CSA, and the proper procedures for reporting allegations of a crime.

More information on the Clery Act can be found on the Clery Center website.

For questions regarding being a CSA or reporting responsibilities, please contact Boise State University’s Clery Compliance Officer (CCO), Val Uranga, at

Who is considered a minor?

A minor is any person under the age of eighteen (18).

What is minor abuse?

The infliction of physical injury, sexual abuse or exploitation of a minor (whether by an adult or another minor); negligent treatment or maltreatment of a minor; or abandonment of a minor. This includes the failure to make reasonable efforts to prevent minor abuse as well as emotional injury.

What are some indications that a minor may be a victim of abuse?

Signs of physical abuse (bruising, burns, fearful, etc.), sexual abuse (difficulty walking or sitting, STI, pain in genital area, etc.), emotional injury (speech disorders, antisocial behavior, seeks attention, etc.), or signs of neglect (hiding food for later, chronically dirty or unbathed, lack of supervision, etc.). By themselves, these signs may not be conclusive evidence of a problem but serve as indicators of the possibility that a problem exists.

What should be done if there is suspicion of minor abuse?

In accordance with state law, all individuals who suspect minor abuse are required to report it immediately to either law enforcement or the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare. There is no need to investigate or ensure that evidence exists before reporting. Reports can be made to law enforcement by calling the Department of Public Safety at (208) 426-6911, or the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare at (208) 334-5437. In an emergency, call 9-1-1. In addition, after reporting the incident to either law enforcement or the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare, the report should also promptly be provided to the Office of Institutional Compliance and Ethics by email at, or by phone at (208) 426-1258.

Download the Suspected Minor Abuse Reporting Protocol

How can minor abuse or inappropriate behavior be prevented?

The following are some best practices that can be used to provide the safest environment for minors:

  • Two adults should be present at all times with minors
  • No changing, showering, massaging, etc. with or in the presence of minors
  • No overnight visits with minors
  • Ensure rooms where programs take place have good visibility, without blind spots
  • Do not touch minors in a manner that a reasonable person could interpret as inappropriate
  • Do not engage in any abusive conduct toward, or in the presence of a minor.
    • Conduct includes but is not limited to verbal abuse, hitting, punching, poking, or inappropriate restraining, except as required to protect a minor or others from harm
  • No doors locked from inside except in emergency situations
  • Random “check-ins” by directors to ensure all personnel are behaving appropriately
  • No drugs or alcohol may be in the presence of minors or shared with minors. No referencing drugs or alcohol while minors are present. Staff are never to be under the influence of any substance while working with minors.

What is the protocol for an emergency on campus and how do I receive emergency messages?

If there is an emergency or threat impacting campus, Boise State will issue an emergency alert through BroncoAlert. BroncoAlert will release a message via email, text, phone call, and/or social media with information about what is going on, where it is occurring, and what safety measures to take in response. BroncoAlert is accessible to anyone with a Boise State email address through the BroncoAlert opt-in. BroncoAlert is also available to anyone who is not affiliated with the University but wants to receive emergency notifications impacting campus, such as youth camp participants and/or their legal guardians. Non-affiliated individuals can enroll in BroncoAlert to receive emergency notifications by following the directions found on this BroncoAlert flyer for non-affiliated individuals. For specific information related to the response of different types of emergencies, please see the university’s Emergency Response page.

What is the protocol for a missing child?

If a minor is missing, immediately contact Boise State University’s Department of Public Safety at (208) 426-6911. Be prepared to give a description of the minor. Confirm with the Department of Public Safety whether they will notify the minor’s emergency contact or whether University Program personnel should do so. Please review Boise State Policy 12090, Timely Warning for Crime Prevention.

What should you do if you see a child who appears to be lost?

The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) encourages people to be alert and report situations regarding children who appear to be lost. NCMEC teaches children to seek the assistance of adults who may be sources of help if they become lost. NCMEC encourages children to ask for help from adults such as uniformed law-enforcement or security officers and business/store personnel wearing name tags.

But what should you do when you see a child who appears to be lost? The steps noted here are ways you can provide assistance to a lost child.

  1. Get involved if you see a child that appears to be lost.
  2. Comfort the child but avoid physically touching him or her.
  3.  Ask the child if he or she is lost or knows the location of his or her parent/guardian.
  4.  Refrain from requesting too much personal information. Children are taught to not give out this information to people they don’t know.
  5. Contact Campus Security or Boise Police Department to report the incident.
  6. Ask other adults in the area for assistance in reporting the incident to a person in a position of authority while waiting for law enforcement to arrive.
  7. Remain in the immediate location, and DO NOT take the child elsewhere. Do not place the child in your vehicle and drive to seek help.
  8. Wait with the child until help arrives.

NOTE: If you see a child who your recognize as one who is missing, based on information from sources such as media reports, missing-child alerts, or fliers issued by law enforcement authorities, immediately call law enforcement and follow their instructions.

How should injuries to minors be handled?

Minor scrapes, bruises, bumps, etc.,  can generally be addressed and contained on-site by supervising staff. In the event a more serious injury occurs, such as an allergic reaction, unconsciousness or difficulty breathing, call 9-1-1. After calling 9-1-1, a staff member not assisting the minor should contact the minor’s parents or legal guardian.

What are the deadlines for registering programs, obtaining background checks, and completing training?

All camps should be registered 2 weeks (14 days) before the event. Proof of staff Authorized Volunteer Agreements, and certificates of completion of training for University employees, interns, students or volunteers must be completed 48 hours before the event. Background verifications must be successfully completed before any University Program staff member can participate in the University Program.