Prepare in Advance
Student Computer Recommendations
Boise State University recommends minimum specifications for student computer hardware and software. Certain disciplines may require additional software or platform recommendations, and we advise checking with your instructors for more information.
Visit the Student Computer Recommendations page for information:
Practice Safe Computing
Protect your computer, identity and privacy. Be sure your computer has antivirus software and learn how to protect yourself on the web.
Boise State offers free Microsoft Office and select statistical and mathematics software for installation on personal computers.
Microsoft Office can be installed on up to five computers, including phones and tablets, for each Boise State account.
Mobile apps for iOS and Android phones and tablets are also available for Canvas, Google Workspace, and Zoom.
Internet Access and Wireless Hotspots
- Free or low-cost internet: If you don’t have internet access at home, visit the National Digital Inclusion Alliance’s website to learn about Free and Low-Cost Internet Plans. There are several options to consider, including some temporary offers available due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Students may install Microsoft Office on up to five devices, including phones and tablets.
- Please keep in mind that other devices on home networks will impact your speed (e.g., if a family member is streaming Netflix or playing online games). If you do experience network issues, check with your Internet Service Provider. Contact the Help Desk if needed.
- Most students carry a powerful computer in their pocket. Mobile apps for Microsoft Office, Canvas, Google Workspace, and Zoom are available for free from iOS and Android app stores and work over cellular connections.
- Check for local resources in your community such as colleges and schools that may offer public WiFi access.
- Most wireless phone service providers offer personal hotspot service to be added to wireless plans to create a WiFi network from a smartphone. This option can also provide greater WiFi range. Check with your carrier for details. The Help Desk can assist you with setting up your hotspot if needed; contact us at (208) 426-4357, firstname.lastname@example.org, or chat online.
Update Your Software
Be sure your computer’s operating system and applications are patched and updated.
Pay close attention to ensuring you are running the latest versions of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, or Microsoft Edge browsers.
Contact the Help Desk for assistance if needed.